News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do First?

Started by bordin34, November 29, 2006, 07:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

Anybody have opinions on what should be done first on my 74 Charger SE. It needs the tranny rebuilt, passenger side floor pans, and a new roof. The engine a 318 that is getting very tired, 82,000 original miles. I am on a limited budget, only 14 years old. It doesn't matter when it gets roadworthy as long as it is within 2 years from now. The body is great except for occasional 1mm rust circles that go threw the paint, and the lower quarters that have some minor pin-head sized rust spots that show threw the paint.
Thanks

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

deputycrawford

Thats a super hard question. There is no first thing to do on a car like that. If it was me at your age? I would put another top on it, then mildly rebuild the 318 and drive the car. put brakes and suspension parts on it also. You take it apart now and you will never drive it. It will snow ball until you get rid of it in pieces. You can give it a proper restoration when you are older. Just don't get rid of it. Especially if its paid for.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Bandit72

Quote from: deputycrawford on December 03, 2006, 01:20:16 AM
Thats a super hard question. There is no first thing to do on a car like that. If it was me at your age? I would put another top on it, then mildly rebuild the 318 and drive the car. put brakes and suspension parts on it also. You take it apart now and you will never drive it. It will snow ball until you get rid of it in pieces. You can give it a proper restoration when you are older. Just don't get rid of it. Especially if its paid for.

:iagree:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

dodgecharger-fan

I agree..

Get the mechanicals up to snuff. Make it safe to drive.
Then worry about making it pretty. Start with the top. Get that all done to keep any more weather out of the rest of the car.
Then do the floor pans. You'll likely need those all sealed up before it will pass inspection.

After that, tackle the little rust spots.

If do a good job as you go along and take good care of things, one day you might find that a well done scuff and spray will bring it up to a nice looking ride.

How's the interior? If you get it to driver stage and it still needs attention, a plain old seat cover will clean things up until you save up the money and get the time to re-skin everything.

Once you have a plan in mind. Don't sweat how long it takes. Stick to the plan. Maintain what's good on the car obsessively. Keep it safe and keep rust under control.

Don't sweat that it's not all done right now. A Charger with some primer spots on it is still a Charger.

If it helps you, carry a picture of what you want the car to look like along with a note of what your next step in the plan is and how you're working towards checking it off the list. Having several smaller goals to achieve keeps the feeling of being overwhelmed out of your mind. Even if you can't figure out all of the steps right now, list what you can and put "learning about the stuff you don't yet know" down as one of your steps. That will change as you figure out what specific things you need to figure out, but that's okay. Just keep breaking it down to smaller steps and keep checking things off the list.

You might make mistakes here and there - do things out of order or just plain mess up. That's okay. You'll learn from that. Accept it as a lesson rather than a setback. That'll keep you positive. Some steps will take longer to achieve. That's fine as long as you stick to the plan or adjust accordingly. Adjustments should always be made in terms of progress and not in terms of settling for less than what you want. At the same time, be sensible about what you want.

Always focus on the end goal and the next step towards getting there. If something comes up, adjust your plan, but stay on track.

Most importantly, keep the car and have fun working on it, and driving it, and just plain having it.

Good luck.

Nacho-RT74

IMHO all depends if you want the best resto as posible, rositerie job, or just repair it.

If you don't care to have it parked it on these next two years, I would start on body, since drivetrain  job is just 2 weeks-one month job. A good body job takes lot of time more, specially a good job beside try to look the best parts posible.

I would start to part it out and get a good storage place of interior parts, wiring etc, everything clasified.

For your description, I think with tight budget, but getting small steps every month you can get your car in a year or so.

With drivetrain out you can get a better paint job, detailing even the engine bay with a fresh paint end everything. Is great get the drivetrain in and car ready to go without need anything more, For a while with engine in and car still parked waiting for rest of job is some depressing.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ChargerSG

Fix the engine first, then the top and depending how fast it get done work your way down. But to the first thing first and drive it some :icon_smile_big: Great age to get started in, wish i had a Charger when i was 14 :icon_smile_big:

Best of luck
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

41husk

were are you located Bordin?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bordin34

Mahwah, NJ its in bergen county. Thanks im probably going to get the transmission rebuilt first.  I have already driven it some, but my mother yells at me when I go WOT and it goes from 15-20 mph in a long time. it slips bad in first and hooks up in second. The choke doesnt work so its a pain in the but to get warmed up in this 40 degree weather.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

red72chrgr

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on December 03, 2006, 09:39:47 AM
I agree..

Get the mechanicals up to snuff. Make it safe to drive.
Then worry about making it pretty. Start with the top. Get that all done to keep any more weather out of the rest of the car.
Then do the floor pans. You'll likely need those all sealed up before it will pass inspection.

After that, tackle the little rust spots.

If do a good job as you go along and take good care of things, one day you might find that a well done scuff and spray will bring it up to a nice looking ride.

How's the interior? If you get it to driver stage and it still needs attention, a plain old seat cover will clean things up until you save up the money and get the time to re-skin everything.

Once you have a plan in mind. Don't sweat how long it takes. Stick to the plan. Maintain what's good on the car obsessively. Keep it safe and keep rust under control.

Don't sweat that it's not all done right now. A Charger with some primer spots on it is still a Charger.

If it helps you, carry a picture of what you want the car to look like along with a note of what your next step in the plan is and how you're working towards checking it off the list. Having several smaller goals to achieve keeps the feeling of being overwhelmed out of your mind. Even if you can't figure out all of the steps right now, list what you can and put "learning about the stuff you don't yet know" down as one of your steps. That will change as you figure out what specific things you need to figure out, but that's okay. Just keep breaking it down to smaller steps and keep checking things off the list.

You might make mistakes here and there - do things out of order or just plain mess up. That's okay. You'll learn from that. Accept it as a lesson rather than a setback. That'll keep you positive. Some steps will take longer to achieve. That's fine as long as you stick to the plan or adjust accordingly. Adjustments should always be made in terms of progress and not in terms of settling for less than what you want. At the same time, be sensible about what you want.

Always focus on the end goal and the next step towards getting there. If something comes up, adjust your plan, but stay on track.

Most importantly, keep the car and have fun working on it, and driving it, and just plain having it.

Good luck.
VERY good advice, I agree with dodgechargerfan
Nothing personal, just business

andy74

i agree with the majority here, keep it driveable,and enjoy the hell out of it first and foremost-and spen your time not working on it here-lot of knowledge to pick up if you are willing to learn from others mistakes :yesnod:

41husk

well if you were closer to St louis I would go ahead and give you the roof off my parts car.  I figure I could get $100-$200 if I cut it off and hang on to it for Monster Mopar, but if you can get someone to come down her cut it off (I have a sawzall) you can have it for free, just to help out a young gun, but I won't ship it to you, just not worth the trouble and being a high school wrestling coach this is about the worst time of the year.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up