News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

exhaust manifold gasket

Started by AmadeusCharger500, December 08, 2006, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I am in the process of fixing a leak. The original gasket is paper.
I wanted to know if
1st the steel core gaskets are better and,
2nd should they be installed with some type of silicone or permatex.

The reason I ask 2nd question is I allready replaced the paper gasket with a steel core. Installed it dry. It helped but did not get rid of leak.
This process is fairly time consuming and I would like to get it right this time.

So am I using the right gasket and should I be using a sealant.

Thanks

p.s. The paper gasket lasted 2 years, how long should they last?

TylerCharger69

Before the headers...I must've replaced those gaskets 10 times....some with sealant...some not.  I finally just had the flanges welded up.  They'd be okay   until I really stomped on the gas  and they would just blow out.   I'm guess ing there's too much exhaust to breathe properly through those factory manifolds if you haven't a stock factory engine.   Headers really help the car to breathe!!!

max

on cast iron exhaust manifolds unless they are not straight there isn't any need for gaskets.

AmadeusCharger500

Sorry forgot to say, these are hedman headers. Installed about 2 years ago.

firefighter3931

Heath, get a set of the Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets.....they are a multilayer gasket and work very well.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AmadeusCharger500

Great, thats what I wanted.

So Ron, what about the permatex. I think you had recommended it originally, when I put these headers on. It may have been what kept these paper gaskets sealed all this time. Or would this dead soft gasket be the fix in itself.

Silver R/T

do copper gaskets work good ?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

firefighter3931

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on December 09, 2006, 01:36:19 PM
Great, thats what I wanted.

So Ron, what about the permatex. I think you had recommended it originally, when I put these headers on. It may have been what kept these paper gaskets sealed all this time. Or would this dead soft gasket be the fix in itself.

Heath, the ultra copper definately helped. The problem with the paper gaskets is they eventually dry out from the heat and burn through. The Percy's gaskets are much thicker and made up of layers of aluminum. They conform to the shape of the header flange/head and won't burn up with repeated heat cycles. Make sure both surfaces are clean of debris and install them w/o sealer. Re-torque them a few times and you should be good to go. I would still use some ultra copper on the end header bolts because those go into the water jacket. Just a dab on the threads will do it.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

This local body shop guy was saying how he used JB Weld on his headers on his truck that were leaking, that it worked great, on both sides of gasket,
    I said great, until you try and take them off, he said when his starter went out, he took out the bolts and barely had to pry it off the one side, put it back on same way, and good to go.   I am not recommending this, just passing along what he told me worked for him.  I don't know.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks Ron
Just ordered the gaskets from Summit. I used something similar to them on the collectors, I did not know they made them for the ports.

Yeah and about those bolts.
Is this a common problem with mopar heads. I have had them leak on numerous engines. The 71 charger I am fixing now and the 73 challenger I just built for a friend. In fact there were at least 4 bolts that leaked on his. What a mess. I am going to remember just put the gunk and some pipe tape on whenever I do this again.

firefighter3931

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on December 09, 2006, 06:31:15 PM
Yeah and about those bolts.
Is this a common problem with mopar heads. I have had them leak on numerous engines. The 71 charger I am fixing now and the 73 challenger I just built for a friend. In fact there were at least 4 bolts that leaked on his. What a mess. I am going to remember just put the gunk and some pipe tape on whenever I do this again.

Yep, the bolts are "wet" on a factory head....the 4 end ones for sure. Just use the ultra copper and let it set up overnight before filling the cooling system and run the motor up to operating temp and shut it down. Allow it to cool and re-toque the bolts. Re-torque them a couple of times after running the engine and that should take care of it.  ;)

Ron