News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classics 25 yrs from now...

Started by SRT-440, November 22, 2006, 08:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelRW

A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Ghoste

Ricers.  If we're still driving gasoline cars in 25 years.

69charger2002

i couldn't agree more with bigblocksam
sure some cars will end up being collected for various reasons(grand national, corvettes, vipers etc). but for 99% of most cars produced today they are DISPOSABLE DIAPERS.. they are just throwaways. let's face it, MOST 66-74 cars in general are desirable.. that's a whole era of cars by all automakers.. i don't see an era in the present where a majority of cars produced are going to be sought after down the road.. some because they were rare new, maybe, or because they are sentimental, other than that.. no way
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

HAZZARDJOHN

Any GM B-Body 91-96. Especially the 94-96 LT1 cars!  :icon_smile_big: IMHO these are the Best late model cars made! 25 MPG 0-60 in 6 sec. stock true Duals from the factory and a host of hop up parts available.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

Blakcharger440

I can see some Vipers,a few vettes and certain mustangs and camaros being worth something and maybe a few of the import tuner cars like the twin turbo Supra.

I just dont see the Neon being worth much in the future. It just doesnt have that thing that usually collectible muscle type cars have.
Sure there will be some people who collect Neons but there will be no rush by the masses to have one.
To me they just dont peg the cool meter much,but thats just my opinion.  ::)

dkn1997

Corvette Z06
viper
ford GT

I would not put anthing on my list that does not cost an arm and a leg.  If you think about it, the cars that are truly getting top dollar now have one thing in common, very expensive when new.  Hemi cuda's, shelby cobra, etc...

now that's not to say cheap cars from back in the day are not getting some big dollars (six pak roadrunner,GTO) but they are not commanding E body or wingcar prices. 

exceptions to every rule:  COPO Gm cars are getting 6 figures and I don't think they were neceessarily that expensive way back, but maybe harder to get.
RECHRGED

Ghoste

I don't know about all of them, but some of the COPO cars were waaay up there.  The real exotic stuff like ZL-1 cars were over 5 grand when new.  That's a lot to shake up in 1969.

Jon Smith

the best of the jap stuff, supras, evos and skylines
the new(old) shape mustang
SRT cars
the new charger (even though it shouldn't be called a charger)
the ridiculously expensive exotics(obviously)
quirky things like smart cars will probably have a following (but it wont be me)

pettyfan43

Some stuff that has been forgotten *remember that in 1979, Charger R/Ts and Daytonas were distressed used cars!* Dode Ram SS/Ts, ESPECIALLY the Indy truck version. Dakota R/T. BEFORE you say trucks won't be worth anything, PRICE nice Little REd Express trucks and Warlocks!

I think the Ram Rumble Bees, Night Runners, and Daytonas will be good collectors vehicles to have as well as Dakota R/Ts (When is the last time you saw one of those?) ESPECIALLY the standard cab version (How many of those have you ever seen?) Maybe even the Durango R/T.

THe RAM SRT 10s will be hot, I think the standard cab will be the good one because it has the 6 speed. As far as the Chargers, I think the ones to have will be the R/T Daytona and the SRT8. The Magnum SRT8 may be really strong, they are VERY rare even now.

And those SRT4s are gonna be hot, most won't survive the next ten years just by their very nature.

Silver R/T

probably s2000's
rx-7s
supra
g35/350z
skylines(if you could import one from Japan)
EVO's
just to name a few
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauibarber

I got to disagree with most of you.  I don't think there is much of anything made today that will be worth much later.  And there is no way in hell a honda civic is gonna be worth big money in 25 years.  Another big problem nobody has addressed is that you can't work on any of these cars at home.  When they start having problems most people HAVE to take them to a mechanic which gets very very very expensive with 25 year old problems.  And all these cars look the same, thats a abig reason why old stuff is worth money.  IT LOOKS DIFFERENT.  And people know that nobody is gonna make these old cars again.  Im sorry but IMO modern cars are ugly as sin unless your spending $50k +

The expert car collectors I talked to have told me that people want what there parents had or what was popular when they were young.  Using that knowledge the next big move in cars would be from guys born from 1970-1980.  These guys are 30-40 years old and are becoming old enough to buy there "dream car".  The cars I remember wanting as a kid were...

Delorean (time machine, back to the future)
Ferrari 308 (Magnum PI)
Pontiac Trans Am (screaming chicken version and knight rider version)
80's Porsche 911 (the one with that big old whales tale in back)
69 Charger, General Lee
69 Camaro
Ferrari Testerossa (Miami Vice)
Lamborghini Countach (pure awesomeness)

These were the cars I remember seeing in movies and tv and lusting after.  I was born in 1975, and I bet those of you that were born around this time felt the same way.
-Alex

Ghoste

Silver, there was an 89 Skyline GTR at the last auction I worked in Toronto, so they can at least be somehow imported into Canada.  Unfortunately, the only people who had the slightest clue what it was, did n't have any money.  To everyone else, it was just another little Japanese car but with right hand drive.  It bid to a no sale at 10,500.

Jon Smith

theres a guy in the MMA from the UK who now lives in new york who has imported a skyline into the US from the UK, but I dont think they are legal there without mods??

QuoteAnother big problem nobody has addressed is that you can't work on any of these cars at home

people work on them at home now, in 25 years there will probably be easier and cheaper ways to do it (if they do turn out to be classics that is)
I bet noone thought 25 years ago that you'd still be able to get parts for their era's cars by now, they thought we'd be in flying cars by now ;D

mauibarber

I don't agree.  Working on a 69 Charger and working on a 2006 Charger are two intirely differnet things.  Yes I am sure there are a few people out there that work on their 06 Charger but not very many.   

Maybe I'm just bitter on the whole new car thing but I can't imagine anybody in 25 years wanting to spend 30k-50k on any car that is out today.  They are all so ugly to me.  Can you imagine in 2030 paying $30,000+ for a 1996 honda civic with 160k "actual miles" on it?  :rotz:\

I think im getting old.  I feel the same way about modern music.  What happned to cars and music?  The last of the greats died in the 80's.  Ever since then the music and the cars all sound and look the same.  :icon_smile_sad:

Hemidoug

I think you guys are leaving out a very important ingredient in the "collector car" market place. High priced collector cars are not only driven by the popularity of what one grew up dreaming about. The million dollar cars from the 20s and 30s are still escalating in value. Those cars, much as the muscle cars, are icons of a special era in the American car production. The muscle car era was and still is representative of the height of performance in the American car industry. That era started in the early to mid 50s and continued into the mid 70s. There is a very wide gap in the automotive industry between that era and this one. Most "gap" (post muscle car) cars were marketed for their economical virtues. Any "performance" cars up till recently have been image cars only. Any kid that drives a hopped up Honda would trade it in a heartbeat for a Muscle car from the 60s-70s. That gap gets even bigger for the Mopars, as there is nothing that even comes close up to the advent of the SRT cars. I really don't think anyone will get breathing hard over a Charger 2.2 or Daytona. The only ones that might standout are the turbo Shelby cars. There are several factors that are specific to the way the market is being driven with regards to Mopars ;

First, Chrysler was the number 3 automaker. What that means in a nut shell is that Chrysler produced less cars then the competition at the time, hence they are worth more in terms of sheer numbers.

Second, It was only until the past 10 or so years that the rest of the car world discovered that Chrysler Muscle cars were superior to the competition. Chrysler produced the BEST muscle cars of that era. When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, Mopars were not appreciated to the degree that they are now. It was the best kept secret in the muscle car world back then. Mopar guys were a very close society, much closer then the Chevy and Ford guys. It was a brotherhood that would rather give up driving then give up their Mopar. That has been lost in part due to the rest of the car world becoming aware of the special nature of Mopars. That, in my opinion is the greatest single loss to me.

Third, it takes a TON of money to restore a Mopar. Not only the costs associated with bodywork, but the costs of parts. Due to the lower numbers of car production, lack (more so in the past) of PROPER aftermarket sources, high prices of NOS parts, lack of good donor cars, the costs of proper restoration are astronomical. Those costs have to be included in the selling price of any restored car.

It takes a whole lot of dedication, loyalty, and interest in bringing a car back to life. I just don't see that when it comes to the "ricers". I think even if you tried to "restore" a 10 year old Honda today, the costs would be prohibitive at best. People just are not going to make that kind of investment when they could go out and spend half as much on a new car that would romp all over that Honda when all is said and done. There is just no iconic ambiance associated with a 10 year old CRX. The only reason the yonger guys are building them is because the cost of parts is cheep. As soon as the cost of building one approaches the cost of doing a car that has iconic ambiance, they will go with the classic. It's going to be a long time before the current market place is duplicated in the cars that have been produced since. I would say that you may see something like it IF the current resurgence of "Detroit Muscle" is killed off by fuel shortages, alternate fuels, or government intervention. The Muscle Car era was a very special era in the American automotive world. There is nothing up to this point in time that even comes close.   

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Jon Smith

Quote from: mauibarber on November 24, 2006, 01:02:21 PM
I don't agree.  Working on a 69 Charger and working on a 2006 Charger are two intirely differnet things.  Yes I am sure there are a few people out there that work on their 06 Charger but not very many.   

I didn't necessarily means 2006 chargers, I dont know anyone with a 2006 charger but I know loads of people who work on and modify modern cars themselves, theres forums like this one and people clever enough to figure out electronics, plenty of aftermarket stuff out there as wel

as for looks..people like them now so why wouldn't they in the future

I'll stick to 60s and 70s stuff though ;Dl

mauibarber

People like them now because they need transportation so they buy the least ugly thing they can afford.  If you could recreate a 69 camaro, 57 chevy, etc.  with all the modern safety, fuel consumption and comforts but looked exactly like a stock car from that era, and had the same price of your average family car it would be the number one selling car.  Why do you think all this retro stuff sells so well.  Because it looks like cars used to look, when they were attractive.

Part of the problem is also car companies look to find cheaper and cheaper ways of making cars.  When is the last time you saw chrome on a new  car?  When is the last time you saw stainless steel trim on a new car?  What about an interior that wasn't entirely made of shity plastic.  Its just cheap cheap junk.  Its transportation only.  Nobody is buyin a civic because they love the styling.  They buyem cause they are cheap and get good gas mileage and are relatively safe in accidents.  Those three things dont make a classic.  Styling is what makes classics nothing else.

I've never been to a classic car show and heard somebody bought their car because it got good gas mileage or was the safest car in 1969.  As the great Harley Earle said in 1955, "Safety is boring".
-Alex

Todd Wilson

Gee maybe I should be taking batter care of my Honda Prelude 2.0 SI 5 speed sunroof car! It may be a barrett jackass  gold mine 25 years from now! HAHA!

Todd

68isgr8

Quote from: mauibarber on November 24, 2006, 07:44:07 PM
People like them now because they need transportation so they buy the least ugly thing they can afford.  If you could recreate a 69 camaro, 57 chevy, etc.  with all the modern safety, fuel consumption and comforts but looked exactly like a stock car from that era, and had the same price of your average family car it would be the number one selling car.  Why do you think all this retro stuff sells so well.  Because it looks like cars used to look, when they were attractive.

Part of the problem is also car companies look to find cheaper and cheaper ways of making cars.  When is the last time you saw chrome on a new  car?  When is the last time you saw stainless steel trim on a new car?  What about an interior that wasn't entirely made of shity plastic.  Its just cheap cheap junk.  Its transportation only.  Nobody is buyin a civic because they love the styling.  They buyem cause they are cheap and get good gas mileage and are relatively safe in accidents.  Those three things dont make a classic.  Styling is what makes classics nothing else.

I've never been to a classic car show and heard somebody bought their car because it got good gas mileage or was the safest car in 1969.  As the great Harley Earle said in 1955, "Safety is boring".
-Alex

You've hit the nail more than once on this subject. I also agree with your statements, I don't think cars now will withstand 25 yrs. of age. Look at how they are made--plasitc, all plastic.......The industries are always focused on the new generations (to make more money) why would they waste their time on reproducing car parts for cars 25 yrs. from now? Gas milage/ fuel effiency will be better, and more hybrid cars on the roads. I don't see the cars we have now will be considered "classics" that people will be just dieing to have. Just my  :Twocents:

69_500

I'm going to throw out a few cars that it doesn't appear that anyone has menionted so far.

1986 Omni GLHS
1987 Charger GLHS
1991 Spirit R/T
1992 Spirit R/T
1992 IROC R/T Daytona
1993 IROC R/T Daytona

Yeah the yare all 4 banger cars, but all are limited production cars, and I saw a Spirit R/T sell recently for close to origional sticker price. These cars are already in demand in some circles, and will be worth money down the road.

Now for off brand stuff.

3000 GT any year as long as its a VR-4. Especially the 98 and 99's.
Ford Taurus SHO 1989. First year offered, a very nice running car.
I also think some of the EVO cars from Mitsubishi will be worth money down the road.

mauibarber

I can see some of the new stuff being worth something ONLY if cars like 69 Chargers are worth in the 150K+ range.   Then guys will look to what they can afford.  Of course when classic cars that are now worth 30-40K become worth $100k+ you willl not be able to drive them on a regular basis.

But if the 69 chargers don't skyrocket I cant see why anybody would want to spend the same amount on a plastic 80's 4 bagger as a 60's Charger, Corvette, Mustang etc.

Lord Warlock

The grand nationals of course GNX will be a high dollar car
The 87 turbo trans am (limited production will make it collectible)
The stealth turbos-which will in turn pull in the mitsu vr4s, vr4 spyders will be a big draw.
The supra turbos
Pontiac Firehawks
Camaro SS
SVT Cobras (mach I's to a lesser degree) Think the 03/04 cobra will be top returners
The new shelby's
Vipers and Vettes
GMC syclone

I really have doubts that the srt's will pull big prices, and if the past is any indicator, very few imports draw much attention from collectors here in the US (Euro exotics excluded from this statement).  I doubt many of these cars will have the same interest as the muscle cars of the 60s do now, (or in the future) They will increase in value after they hit the bottom of the depreciation curve, but the values wont be as dramatic as the current muscle cars.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

65post

A great looking aero car but GM should have put a MOTOR in it.These cars are already slowly going up in value.I love um.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

RT DAVE

I don't think there are too many cars made in the last 34 years that will ever be as collectible as those made pre-1972.   With a few exceptions prior to the last five years, most cars have either been ugly, gutless (as far as performance) or both.    That being said, I think tuner cars, such as those put out by Roush, Saleen, Callaway, Lingenfelter, Hennesey, etc etc are the real ticket to collectibility.    :Twocents:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

SRT-440

I think the 60's-70's muscle cars will always be most sought after for us that are 30+ years old..but the younger crowd would prolly rather have a Supra, Cobra or Viper to bring back to it's hayday..yes..these cars are mostly plastic..but just think how easy it will be to restore..just buy more plastic.. :icon_smile_wink:

As far as the SRT4 (i'm gonna defend since I have one until the challenger comes out) it might not be the most sought after but there will be a demand for a limited production turbo car..ponder this: The beetle was considered a throw away car back in the day and considered "slow and ugly" but I can promise you there is a huge collector market for this little car that looks like a pregnant roll skate with the engine in the trunk..so no one really knows what's gonna be hott.

If you want my opinion, the manufactures are gonna get smart and re-release all of our favorite classics (or atleast the popular ones) with new technology underneath..you can already buy a 69 Camaro out of a crate..just give it a few years and they will make more...  :icon_smile_wink:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)