News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source roller rockers

Started by srpntlair1, January 31, 2007, 09:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srpntlair1

read a couple threads that mention their roller rockers aren't good, but find no explanation. could someone clarify?

Chryco Psycho

not  a fna of either alum rockers as they will eventually fail & I am even less a fan of any rocker using a needle brg & the surface area is drastically reduced & when they fail you get to go fishing for needle brgs ontop  of just repalcign a rocker arm

Rolling_Thunder

for approx the same cost - go with Crane ductile iron adjustable rocker arms.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

or go better & get Comp Pro Magnum

kamkuda

A buddy bought a set and they were "soft"  Brandon replaced them for him and they looked like a much better version. 

I will have no word on the new set as he bought Harland Sharps and sold the replacement 440 source set.

Challenger340

Anybody still ever use the "Crane Gold" Roller Rockers for Mopars anymore ?

Are they too high priced compared to others ?

I've been using them on Mopar stuff for the last twenty years or so, when guys wanted a "mid-range" Rocker, and I haven't had any problems, other than a "spell" of poor Adjusters  about 5-6 years ago, and 1 guy who can't adjust Valve lash.

Seems to be well rectified since, and I've had good experience since then. Probably 30-40 sets since for customers.

Even used them on some mechanical Roller Cams, no problems.

Nobody like the Crane Gold's ? or do they have a "bad rep." ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

daytonalo

The gold rockers are old school , use comp or any chrome moly needle rockers or stainless . As mentioned alum will fail , they did on my race boat !

Challenger340

Like I said, "old school" or not, I haven't had any problems ???

I agree the stainless are much better, but, also much more $ $  ?

Haven't seen any break either. Where do the Crane Gold's break ?  Anybody ?

daytonalo

Who cares how much they , can cost many times as much when alum comes apart .

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 06, 2007, 06:02:42 PM
Where do the Crane Gold's break ?  Anybody ?

My buddy (member blown68) broke 2 crane gold 1.5's last summer....both snapped at the fulcrum within 24 hrs of each other.  :P That was enough for him and the upgrade was to Harland Sharp. This is a mild street roller cam combo with a dyers 671 and mild boost.

I'm aware of others who have broken the golds running roller cams. I see them as a descent flat tappet cam rocker arm but with very limited lifespan at roller spring pressures.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

I Dunno, I'm really confused here ?

Like I said, I've been using the Crane Gold Roller Rockers for many years now, as a "mid range" alternative pricewise. I still like them for those applications.
I agree wholeheartedly that there are "better" Rockers out there, no arguments from me on that.

I also agree, that the "best" application for them, is Flat-Tappet type stuff, or milder Roller profiles.

But whats really got me confused, and wondering "what's going on out there", is the failure area.
I've probably built 50 Mopar BB's in the last  10 years, that we used the Crane Gold's, and NEVER seen the issues described here ?

We've Used "better" Rockers on the others, as per their "best" application, in the same 10 years. INDY, JESEL, Harland Sharp, etc.

The "kicker", is that we get the "majority" of these engines, back for freshening periodically, or at least retain some continuity with the guys running them, and have heard "diddly"  about Crane Rocker reliability, when used appropriately  ?

Apologies for this, but I can't help being of the opinion, that "other factors" are contributing somewhat to these failures ? Valvetrain Harmonics ? Spring Slew Rate ? Over Torque'd Shafts ?
I guess I'll never know.
All I'm trying to do here, is point out some things, we all need to be aware of as purchasers in the marketplace.

I'm currently freshening an Aluminum Rod 545 Mopar BB, that uses some "over-extended" INDY SR heads, Roller Cam @ 250 lb seat pressure, the thing is back for it's "250 pass freshening" at 800 H.P./7000 rpm, and the "CRANE GOLD" Valvetrain looks "puss" !
I Don't understand it.
The problem for me is, in this business, I have to look at "why", when a failure occurs. I simple can't say " too weak" when I know the manufacturing process, or metallurgical properties of a particular part, and the failure "doesn't add up" ?

I agree the Crane Gold's aren't the "best" Rocker for Roller Applications, no arguement.

But catastrophic failures as described, aren't the downfall of these rockers imo.
I tend to lean more towards rejection for use, on deflection issues, and metal fatigue/work hardening/fracturing at the Roller trunion areas, at Mech. Roller Pressures & Spring rates.
Failures, or breaking at the fulcrum, seems to point to an "out of round" condition of the shaft from "over-torque", which we then have an ovaled shaft "wedge" working to split the Rocker.
or,
shaft bounce and deflection, on the Head saddles, from Spring pressure variance( spring went away). Were the head Shaft saddle areas "galled" ?
or,
incorrect geometry, whereby the trunions change direction at mid-lift. 3 changes per cylce and poor harmonics.

In any event, all of the above will damage/fail ANY Rocker eventually, the Crane Gold merely being the least tolerant, from "better" Rocker choices.

No flamers wanted, apologies for the rant.
I had intended to replace the Crane's on the 545 for the guy anyway, as I wasn't all that comfy when it left before, but hey, this guy did fine by them.
What he really needs is bigger heads ! LOL ! But he can turn low 9's with these, so what's enough ?

Anybody want photos of this 545's Crane Rockers after a total of 500 pulls in the low 9 second range ? They still look "brand new".

Again, apologies for the rant fellas. 

daytonalo

Somebody needs a hug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!