News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started to clean out my car... UPDATE 8/27/05... MORE PICS!!!

Started by TruckDriver, August 24, 2005, 08:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Ok, I got out of work a bit early today, so I decided to start cleaning the car out. Whew! what a mess! Not including the sand dust.

#1)The engine compartment. I gotta dig out my shop vac and vacum this up before I open anything :rotz:

#2)The A piller where the weld is for the roof. Kinda fuzzy, but that is the worst spot on the whole roof. All the bondo is long gone, but no pitting at all. Just surface rust.

#3)This was the first time I got a chance to open the trunk. :icon_smile_shock:

#4)After digging through all the stuff in the trunk (about half was needed for the car), underneath everything was something I didn't want to see. Years ago, (obviously before my friend bought it) one of the owners put a piece of carpeting in the trunk. It was so hard, I had to more-less break it just to lift it up and fold it over. Well, of course with the rubber trunk seals dry rotted, when it rained, it got in and the carpet got wet :brickwall: The drivers side is very saveable (the white makes it look worse then it is) as the rust spots are still solid with minor pitting. BUT..... the passenger side is toast.....

Side note; That tire is a Exxon Brand. That's new to me ???
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

#5)All the water would drain to the passenger side cause it had a flat right rear tire and the car leaned that way. I was able to put my little finger through in one spot. So I hope I can just do the passenger side half of the trunk floor.

#6)Except for the mattress pad (was mine before the car was) everything you see there is good stuff including almost perfect paint still on the factory air cleaner, the Eldebrock air cleaner, 4 new headlights, the original carb which is still really clean and a bunch of other misc stuff. The original intake and all the floor mounter seat belts are in the back of the garadge.

#7)This is just 1 pile of crap out of the trunk. The rug under the front valance is what was in the trunk that caused the rust.

#8)This is the second pile of junk. Although the blankets were inside the car on the rear seat piled up. What is not pictured, is the 7 antifreeze and oil containers I pulled from the trunk. Some full, some not. I also filled one big plastic garbage bag too before I took these pics, and pull out like 5 boxes. Some boxes were so dry, they crumbled like a potato chip.

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

#9)I also found this in the trunk. Is this a turn signal from a '70 Charger?

#10)This is the interiour after I cleaned it out. The drivers seat is dry rotted out and the viynl is crumbling when you touch it. Other wise, it is not to bad. Need to be redone though. I am supprized how soft the door panels are yet. There also reusable. The arm rest are dry rotted and cracked though. The steering wheel is warped. But the console is in real good shape yet. The back seat except for 2 small tears, one in the middle on the bottom, and one on top on the passenger side, is still half way decent soft. But man the dust :rotz:

And I looked under the rear seat for the build sheet, but no traces of one even ever being there. The floors are solid under the carpeting too with NO rust on it.
PETE

Goldfinger71

Keep us posted!.....are you sure you don't need to just hose the whole car down! :icon_smile_big:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

TruckDriver

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on August 24, 2005, 09:42:31 PM
Keep us posted!.....are you sure you don't need to just hose the whole car down! :icon_smile_big:

I called my friend tonight and told him I'm just going to keep all the sand dust and make a sand box for my kids :D

Cleaning the dash will not be fun :P :rotz:
PETE

Blakcharger440

Yep, that looks like a turn signal for a 70 Charger. Not sure if 68-69 also used the same. But yours has a 70 year code on it.

Brock Samson

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

1968 Charger B5

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

41husk

just take it a sction at a time or it will overwelm you.  I know it did me and then I just let it sit.  with my 68 I took little goals at a time and had help thgat will keep you motivated.  Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ipstrategies

Be sure to check under Passenger seat for build sheet, both of my 71's had build sheets under back seat and under pass. seat. I used a flashlight to see if it was there and pulled the seat to get it out as it was brittle. The parts car build sheet cameout in pieces the one in the 71 I am restoring cameout as 2 parts. I went a got a Document frame at walmart that holds 81/2 x 11 documents and put it in that and was able to take a magnify glass to decodeit. It will be somethingto do when you are not working on car.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

cudaken

Funny how a car get turned into a trash can when no running. Why was the car parked anyway? Over all, I rather be pulling out sand than mud.

Cuda Ken
I am back

MoparYoungGun

Yep, that's a turn signal from a '70 Charger.

Good luck DCG, keep us posted on the progress!

mustanghater

are you still going to restore it like that red one that was by me?
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

TruckDriver

Quote from: cudaken on August 25, 2005, 09:04:04 AM
Why was the car parked anyway?

Cuda Ken

The guy that had it before the guy I got it from had a freeze plug go out on it. when he started to work on it, the place he was living at said you can not do that here. So he just pushed it along side his house til my friend found it and bought it.

PETE

TruckDriver

Quote from: mustanghater on August 25, 2005, 09:27:01 AM
are you still going to restore it like that red one that was by me?

Yes, but I am still not sure of the color yet. It is not important to me yet. But Hemi Orange and B5 Blue are the top 2 picks right now :icon_smile_big:
PETE

TruckDriver

Quote from: 41husk on August 25, 2005, 07:00:18 AM
just take it a sction at a time or it will overwelm you.

I have to do it that way so I can afford it. The rust is on top of my list as well as getting the engine running again. Then the brakes need rebuilding, then the front end needs rebuilding. Then after that, who knows.
PETE

TruckDriver

8/27/05

Well, I started the clean up of as much dust as possable. I can tell you right now, unless my car is taken apart down to every nut and bolt, there will always be some dust in the car. But I guess it was expected. Anyway... I found what was left of a build sheet under the front passenger seat. I got like 7 small pieces. The rest was dust. I hope I can find another one. I spent 4 hours just vacuming the car out from the engine to the trunk. It looks tons better. When I get ambitious I will go over the interiour with Nu Viynl to try to soften up the saveable parts. The console had soda or coffee spilled on it near the front hence the dirt there yet. I will go over that again with some water. But other wise the console is in PERFECT shape! The engine was tuff to get the sand dust out. It will have to be presure washed to get all of it. But lease it is starting to look rebuilt.
PETE

TruckDriver

First pic is the Performer 383 intake :icon_smile_big:

I went over the trunk with a wire brush to remove as much loose rust as I could. Except for that one big dark spot, the rest is still in good shape, will just need some media blasting.

3rd picture is the bad rusted spot. It is very thin with a few holes which you can see if you look hard. Just haaaaad to be carpeting in the trunk and a leaky weather seal :cussing: :brickwall: :RantExplode:
PETE

cudaken

You going to light the hole's before you yank the 400?

Before you say the engine is junk, I saved a AAR 340 Cuda that sat for 15 years. Owner said it was junk from sitting bit old Cuda Ken knew better. Took a little while (2 week's) but we lite the holes and after 15 mintues of smoke Randy had her side way's and it was the hide's that where smoking not the 340.

If you want to give it a try I will give you details on saving it.

Started another engine that sat for 25 years and lived as well.

Pull the vale cover's, if not filled with sand it could still live again. Dust, well that not a big issuie, sand on the other hand might be. Oh, get a can of raid, found a lot of bug's in the AAR and some dead mices as well.

I wonder where the spider's are?  ;D

Cuda Ken
I am back

TruckDriver

Quote from: cudaken on August 28, 2005, 05:40:43 PM
You going to light the hole's before you yank the 400?

Before you say the engine is junk, I saved a AAR 340 Cuda that sat for 15 years. Owner said it was junk from sitting bit old Cuda Ken knew better. Took a little while (2 week's) but we lite the holes and after 15 mintues of smoke Randy had her side way's and it was the hide's that where smoking not the 340.

If you want to give it a try I will give you details on saving it.

Started another engine that sat for 25 years and lived as well.

Pull the vale cover's, if not filled with sand it could still live again. Dust, well that not a big issuie, sand on the other hand might be. Oh, get a can of raid, found a lot of bug's in the AAR and some dead mices as well.

I wonder where the spider's are?   ;D

Cuda Ken

HUH??? You musta missed something somewhere. The engine was rebulit except for the sticky lifters & main bearings which showed no wear. I wanna built this baby! I am going to pull the valve covers when I put the new lifters in. As far as spiders, the only spiders I seen are little daddy long leg spiders which don't bother me (the only ones that don't). Although I did fing a nasty spider web under the valley pan area. Even my shop vac had a hard time getting it. But no signs that there were ever mice in this car except under the hood where they chewed up the wires on my wiper motor. That's the only damage I found from mice what so ever.
PETE

twilt

DCG, you might try Auto Body Specialties. they show trunk pans on website.  However, be warned that they also show rear floor pan sections that (from what i understand) they really dont have.
http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/
good luck.

TruckDriver

Quote from: twilt on August 30, 2005, 03:30:07 PM
DCG, you might try Auto Body Specialties. they show trunk pans on website.   However, be warned that they also show rear floor pan sections that (from what i understand) they really dont have.
http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/
good luck.

I will have to call them once, thanks!
PETE