News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Gas?

Started by colocolino, November 22, 2006, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colocolino

Hey fellas, Im looking for any information related to this topic. I moved away from my baby for a year an a half and wasn't able to start her up during that time or properly store her. Now im back and worried. What should i look out for? I replaced the battery and dont want to turn the key with the nagging feeling I should replace the gas but how do i tell if it indeed needs replacing or can it be diluted with fresh gas? If you can't tell im an amateur and in need of some direction. Thanks again for any input.

Ghoste

If the gas is stale, one smell is all it will take.  It is one of the worst smells you can imagine.  If it's only been sitting a year though, it should start although it may not run well and will be down on power.  It canbe diluted with good stuff so top it up and run it out and fill it again. 
Unless of course, you are dealing with a race engine and then you don't want to screw around with it.

70charger_boy

yeah the smell of rusted gas is really bad.  I wouldn't be afraid to run it if the motor blows rebuild it.  I doubt the motor will blow anyway

Steve P.

If your gas stinks, (it probably will), you can empty the tank into a fuel rated drum and take it to your county dump. I believe all counties in the states provide a place for chemicals and everywhere I have taken old paint and gas have taken it for free. They properly handle it from there.  Hopefully you didn't leave allot in the tank.

I have done this a number of times myself. I use an old trick to do it.

First you will need a suitable container for the spent gas. Make sure it is big enough to hold what you've got in the tank.

Then remove the fuel inlet to the filter. Add a line long enough to go into the top of your container. Make sure the line is tight so it won't leak gas all over the place.

Open the fill door and remove the gas cap.

Wrap a thick rag around a blower nozzle and lightly charge the tank with compressed air. One quick blast will do it. Once the fuel starts traveling out the line into the container it should not stop until the tank is empty. Make sure you don't over charge the tank with compressed air as you could blow the seams. Just a light air charge..... 

Another way this can be done if you don't have a compressor is to use an air tank. It will need to be fitted with an air chuck that can be throttled. You can have it filled at your local repair shop.

Yet another way and far better, is to hook up an electric fuel pump and pump it out. This is better controlled and cannot do any damage to your tank.

Good luck, hope this helps..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida