News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger Neutral Safety Switch wiring. HELP

Started by Daytona Guy, October 03, 2006, 11:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

72 Charger auto/AC Neutral Safety Switch wiring.

Neutral safety switch trouble. Wiring all messed up. I need to know where the wires go and their purpose.

This is my guess – How off am I?

Brown – yellow stripe = has 12 volts but then when grounded enables the ignition switch

Black = have no idea, but I believe has something to do with the back up lights. A guess = connects to black-and-white stripe wire via NSS while in reverse.

Black – white stripe = completes the circuit with the black wire via NSS while in reverse to turn on back up lights.

I have no NSS pig tail – I do have a two prong pig tail – Can I us it?

I can get my ignition switch to turn over the starter and start the car when ...I ground the brown and yellow striped wire (that tests at 12 volts) that then clicks a relay under dash when ignition is on forward position. When I turn in the key forward all the way to start position it cranks and fires off. Seems weird to grownd a 12 volt wire, but it works. But I do not know how it fits to the pig tail and the NSS that has three prongs.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work and how it is wired?

Plumcrazy

You've got it pretty much figured out.
You will need a three pin  connector for the neutral safety switch.
The brown wire gores to the middle pin and the two black wires can go to either of the two remaining pins.

The power that comes out of the ignition switch goes through the starter relay coil and then to ground through the brown wire and NSS.  Thats why it has 12v in it.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Daytona Guy

Thank you. It was just weird to ground a 12 volt wire. I though something was going to fry. Shorting that wire must be a trigger...