News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear crossmember...HELP!!

Started by DBR/T, September 14, 2006, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBR/T

I'm in the middle of replacing the trunk floor, quarters, outer wheelhouses, rear valance, and rear crossmember on my 69 R/T. I've got the trunk floor, quarters, rear valance, and the rear crossmember removed, and everything is blasted and ready to start going back.  The problem I've got is that the replacement crossmember doesn't seem to fit right at all.  The original crossmember looked like it was recessed on the ends, the replacement is totally straight. When you hold it up to the rear frame rails the top butts up against the tabs on the frame, but the bottom only touches the frame on the outer two bolt holes, the  bolt holes in the main frame rail on both sides is about 3/8" away. The cossmember is also wider than it should be, with the quaters hanging where they belong the crossmember hit them where the quarters are recesssed for bumper. It looks like if the crossmember was recessed like the original that part would be ok, do I have the wrong crossmember, or do I need one from a different supplier, or do I just need to modiffy this one? The trunk floor, quarters, rear valance, and rear crossmember all came from autobody specialties. Also, I still have to get the trunk extensions, wheelhouses, valance corners, will I need to get these from them also for proper fit or can I buy from anywhere. I just didn't know if some panels where made different so one brand fit differently together than others.  Thanks for any help and advice.  Dale

shadow

Hi i went to three river in Quebec last week i met a mopar freak out there an he makes those pieces for a b an e body he has a mold an he told me that he sell all over an never had any complain he also make the end pieces do you know if the one you purchase are made in Canada the reason i am asking is i might sell some in the future an i want to make sure he told me the thrue thanks FRANCIS.

DBR/T

The one I got came from Autobody Specialties, I don't know who or where it was actually made. I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can find out. Thanks      Dale

Troy

I believe that Autobody Specialties gets most of their frame repair parts from Auto Rust Technicians (http://www.autorust.com/). Check the part numbers for ones with an "AR". Those pieces are only made by one company as far as I know and the diagram is always the same. However, I think that rear crossmember may be from somewhere else. Sherman's makes an original type 3 piece rear crossmember but it's $299 for the center and $69 each side. I remember someone else having to remove a section out of the center of the one piece part like you have to make it fit. I can't find the post now though but I think they just pitched it and made their own.

You'll want to check 69hemis site for information on how to get the wheelhouses and valence corners to fit. They require some work to fit right. Go here http://www.69hemi.com/index.html then click on "Restoration" then "Sheet Metal". The trunk extensions seem to be pretty good. Most sheetmetal is only made by one supplier (probably Sherman's or Goodmark) except for a few specialty pieces. I know that there are 3 or 4 different front floor pans though so that's weird. Post pics!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

smasherofall

I bought one Auto Rust Technitions and it was totally wrong. None of the holes lined up, it was too long, the holes for the fuel tank straps were an inch too low, and the height was 1-1/2" too tall. I called back and gave them all the dimensions and sent it back, 2 months later they finally sent me another one. This time the holes lined up better but it was still 1-1/2" too tall. This time I sent my old one to them and told them it had to be just like it. Well, about a month and half later they sent me another one, still too tall  :flame:  This time I fixed it myself by cutting out the center and welding it back together. actually came out ok with my limited welding skills.

DBR/T

Quote from: shadow on September 18, 2006, 02:24:54 PM
Hi i went to three river in Quebec last week i met a mopar freak out there an he makes those pieces for a b an e body he has a mold an he told me that he sell all over an never had any complain he also make the end pieces do you know if the one you purchase are made in Canada the reason i am asking is i might sell some in the future an i want to make sure he told me the thrue thanks FRANCIS.
Sorry its been a couple days to reply, works been hectic.  I called Autobody Specialties and they told me their crossmember is made by a private shop in New Hampshire.  Hope this helps!                                               Dale

DBR/T

Hey Francis!   OOPS!  I goofed,  they didn't tell me New Hampshire, they told me New England!  Sorry,        Dale                       

JimShine

Hmmmm, there is a shop up near Augusta Maine that makes some of the parts that Auto Body Specialties sells. Infact I heard they made some patch panels for some of the Mopars. They sell direct to walk in traffic. I should see if they make the crossmembers (I need one anyway).

69 charger man

heyy.. i used the auto rust crossmember.. fit was ok.. i had to cut the ends some and the sides, but worked out very well... its also a one piece design and is made out of thicker metal.. sorry but this all the pictures i have.. there not the greatest
-ray