News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb price

Started by General 713, September 14, 2006, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General 713

How much would a carb cost for a 383

41husk

What do you want a stock carter, demon, holey what CFM?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

General 713

41husk

What size!!! new, used etc.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

myk

Plan on spending about $300 for a new one, which I recommend doing.  Don't go to a parts store and buy a rebuilt unit, even though it would probably cost you around $200...

74340charger

you should aready know your parts guy's really good. wait till they start advertising the 35% off anything in the store that will fit in a bag. make sure that the carb you think is best for the engine is in the store tucked away when the sale is going on... and BAM you've got a great deal. I scored my eddy 750 for $182 brand new. but I had to have them order it in and hide it till the friday sale.

Dallas

Chryco Psycho

General 713

wow, i am not sure what size it is.  I am looking at a charger that i am going to get if i can get my parents to cosign a loan.  The engine ran but she then wired the carb wrong and it fired through the carb.  I hope i can find a decent priced one.

41husk

If you are not going to be racing you can easily find a carb new in the $200 nieghberhood that will fit your needs well, good luck with your car and keep us posted!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

General 713

i may race it once in a while but not often.  Will that affect anything?

resq302

I just paid $325 for a concourse rebuild of my stock 383 4 bbl carb for my 69 Charger.  If I remember correctly, (and I could be wrong) I think the stock CFM was around 625.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

For 383 I would use a 700-750 cfm , I like the Holley style carbs better to 

Ghoste

Are you sure you need to replace it?  From your description it sounds like it experienced a backfire but you didn't indicate any other problems.  If it's a Holley on there now you may have a blown power valve but they're a lot cheaper than a new carb.

General 713

she said it is a 4bbl carb.  Not sure what's wrong.  she said it fired through the carb because she wired it wrong

myk

dodge freak

I took it as the plug wires cross

General 713

Some how.  it fired through the carb that's what she said.

deputycrawford

Get the car in your possesion first. Then reset the timing and spark plug wiring. Carb back fires can happen for many reasons. One could be timing too far forward. Get the car and check one thing at a time. You'll figure it out.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

General 713

it is now listed here for sale.  I want it but am having a hard time getting my parents to cosign a loan

dodge freak

I don't blame them insurance is hard to get for those old cars, it might sell for $15,000 or so but try to get a insurance company to pay that much. You are young and have a better chance of an accident-at least the insurance company's think, so it be sky high if you can find any. Think some like 25 years old and up. Good Luck and don't get mad at your parents, they can only do so much. Its the insurance problem I bet.

Ghoste

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you can get the car then.  I don't suppose you are near the car so you can check it out in person first are you?

mikepmcs

I'm guessing you are talking about Jessica's car.  I agree with everyone, it sounds like the backfire has nothing to do with the carb(unless it did what DODGEFREAK said it did).  Did she tell you what size carb and what brand, if not stock, is on it now?  Is it a stock motor?  If you do get the car definitely do what DEPUTY CRAWFORD suggests first because I think it could be dealing with timing and what not.
I agree with Chryco on the 700-750CFM.  I have a 750 HP Holley and noticed a difference over the 600 Eddy I had on there.  HP's are more expensive $500 or so, but you might as well get the right stuff the first time.  Chances are you might not need a carb at all though to start off with.  Looking at the car in the pics, you've got a little more work before you need to spend money on a carb.
Just my .02

here's a couple links about CFM(cubic feet per minute)

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/cfm.htm

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/formula.htm

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/math.html

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?