News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

freeing stuck engine

Started by jerry, September 10, 2006, 10:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

i have a 270 poly engine in a dodge royal with 50,000 miles on it .been sitting for 35 yrs. has anyone freed up a stuck engine without removing the heads?i filled the cyl full of tranny fluid. its been sitting for a month. removed starter so i can get to flywheel for better leverage. like to hear your solutions or do i need to remove heads.maybe someone has had some luck :yesnod:

greenpigs

I would not try and spin it over as the rings could very well be seized and score you cylinder wall, I would just pull the motor and tear it apart. I think just squirting some oil in it and fresh gas will not cut it in this case.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Todd Wilson

Could be a # of things making it locked up.   I have heard of diesel fuel and Marvel Mystery oil, PB Blaster and the seafoam deepcreep to help break things loose.  Could be a piston stuck or a valve stuck. You might be able to pop it loose with a breaker bar on the pulley. I wouldnt get too forceful with it.   At this point you are looking at a rebuild so you arent out anything if you get it loose and it dont run. Time and patience and it may run again. This could be a several month deal if you take your time.

Todd

8WHEELER

It is most likely the rings in the cylinders, but the last 68 440 I bought was for $100.00. It was that cheap
because he told me the engine was froze. I tried to turn it over, sure enough no go, took the heads off
and found a valve stuck wide open. After tapping on the valve it slammed shut, put a socket back on the
crank now with no heads, engine turned over like it was new I got lucky for once.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

jerry

i don't know much about this but a stuck valve could cause this. i will pull the valve covers off and take a look.thanks for all the info. jerry