News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting a car without wiring

Started by Charger1973, September 25, 2006, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Ok my car has NO wiring in it at all right now.  I dont plan on putting the old wiring back in, and I cant afford new harnesses at this point.  My car is not roadworthy anyways so I was just thinking about wiring up the motor to run so I can at least move it around the yard and I wont have to push it anymore.  This should be pretty simple, but I thought you guys would know more than me about it and want to make sure I do it right.  It doesnt have to be anything fancy, I just want to be able to start the car.  I dont want to use the ignition key or anything just basically hotwired.

nick_iam

my charger is same way, no harness. but i run it all the time. ive got mine with key though. but thats no biggie.

1> ignition system.     
              mopar used a blue wire, controlled by the key, to power ign/charging systems. use 14 guage wire, fuse it and put an on-off switch in there so you can turn engine off, run from b+ to positive
  • side of ignition coil. distributor has 2 leads, positive/negative. they both goto coil, signs acordingly. to test for proper wiring, positive side of coil constant, negative pulses when engine is cranked. btw, i have the Ignitor system installed instead of points, so this is described according to that. if you have something different (factory electronic/points) let me know i may be able to help w/ that.

2>Charging system.   
                 i would wire up the alternator too so you keep the battery fat-n-sassy. three wires to be concerned with. factory has two 14 guage wires (blue&green)for controlling alt. and one 10 guage run from alternator post to battery positive. Blue wire is power wire, splices into voltage reg. pigtail. this is a three way splice, well actually a 'Y' splice.

a. from power (ign. power wire too)
                  b. to voltage regulator
                  c. to alt.
      the green wire runs from voltage reg. to alt.

3>Starting system.     
           all thats left is the starting system. not much more than the battery-starter-starter relay. install the batt. positive cable. put a push button on the control side of the starter relay. bam, you are set.
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress