News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Way To Take Of Body Emblems ? Help !

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, September 03, 2006, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Yo,
What is the best way to take of body emblems? I want to take the R/T emblems off of my 73 Rally Charger. Someone tried to make a clone!
I want to take the emblems off so I can save the paint for the rest of the cruising season.
        Thanks Mopar Buddies !
:rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

dodgecharger-fan

It depends on how they are on there.

You should be able to see the backside of the fender if you open up the door. If you see a fastener in there, then remove it and the emblem should come off.

If there's no fastener, then they were put on with double sided tape and you'll need some sort of remover to get them off.

I can't say that I can recommend anything because any emblems that I've ever taken off were old and came off with just my finger strength.

Anyone else got ideas for softening up the double stick tape?

tan top

if the emblem  is stuck on , carefully work in a sawing motion a thin plastic bondo spreader between the sheet metal and badge ,cutting the adhesive tape , once the badge is off, scrape the rest  of the glue off with the plastic spreader & then any residue left wipe off with  paint shop degreaser .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dkn1997

I used a blow dryer on a mustang GT I had years ago.  worked well.  DON'T USE A HEAT GUN!!!
RECHRGED

mopar_madman

I use a razor knife ( the thin ones that can be pushed out real far) with the blade pushed out gentle cuts and pulling as you go it will come real easy. Then clean the rest off with 3m adhesive remover or just plain naptha will work also.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow,
Thanks for all the help. I am gonna' try the hair dryer. Some Hill used some sorta' glue to put the R/T emblems on. I have never heard of a 73' R/T clone, but that is what the previous molesters did with my 73' Rally that I just bought.
  I wanna' get the R/T emblems off before I drive it again!
Thanks Mopar Buddies.
:yesnod:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Arigmaster

Another method you may want to try is using a piece of heavy string. Best type is the stuff they use for running level lines. Saw it back and forth on a bar of soap or an old candle. Then slip it under the emblem and saw through the tape on the back.

Use soapy water and a rag to remove as much of the adhesive as you can and then use a blow dryer to warm the rest up and clean it off. I found that charcole starter will take some adhesive off without harming the paint. It also works really good on road tar too...

mopar1

Do you have the rally doors?That would look awsome.Looks good w/t black vinyl top.I  have a 71 R/t with a white vinyl top.I do like it in black.

Lord Warlock

Another option is to use a blow dryer to heat the adhesive, (a heat gun will work, but you gotta be careful not to burn the paint) and then use a piece of fishing line to work behind the emblem itself using the sawing motion mentioned before.  I used this technique to remove the emblems off my turbo stealth and cobra medallions and it works very well.  (for stick on ones) All of the r/t emblems I've seen on my charger are bolt ons though.  As far as what thickness of line to use, simple 6lb line is sufficient, just go to one of your neighbors for the line someone around you is bound to be a fisherman. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: mopar1 on September 04, 2006, 10:21:28 AM
Do you have the rally doors?That would look awsome.Looks good w/t black vinyl top.I  have a 71 R/t with a white vinyl top.I do like it in black.

Yo,
I guess it does look cool with the black top. I just took the stripes off and it looks plain Jane as can be. I hope thet the correct 73' Rally stripe willl look good on it.
Thanks for all the help.
BMOTOXSTAR
:yesnod:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT