News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

509 in a 360

Started by Dodge69_440, September 01, 2006, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

OK guys even though I am off at college and the car is stored I still have a question.  I built one of the mopar performance 360 shortblocks and the engine came with the .509 lift 292 duration cam.  I have read a lot of articles about this cam in regards to 440s, but never a 360.  The highest I can get the vacuum is 9 at idle and she idles pretty rough.  My combo is the 9.5 comp hyperteutic (think thats it) pistons and forged rods with a hv oil pump on the bottom end.  Up top I am running aerohead heads with 2.02 and 1.60 on the valves with crane gold rockers.  The intake is an RPM airgap and the carb is a holley 4160 750cfm with 72 jets.  This is all running through a 2400 stall converter and 3.55 out back.  What do you guys think of this combo for the street? I don't car about mpg or driveability, I love the rough idle.  My concern is that on the chasis dyno she only pumped out 247hp and 285 ft lbs.  I know numbers always come up low, but could the cam be too radical?  Sorry for the long post, just want some feedback from the pros.

Dodge69_440

PS. we dyno tuned the engine and it as about 34 total on the timing just to rule that out

firefighter3931

The cam is too big for the rest of the combo. The 508 (smallblock version of the 509) needs lots of stall and lots of rear end grear to work effectively....especially in a heavy car. The 9.5 vac reading is about right for that grind. If you want to keep the converter and gears, a smaller cam would work much better, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dodge69_440

your right on the .508, what cam would you guys recomend?  How about the .474 (or whatever the next step down is) just looking to get the most torque/hp out of it.

Beer

Here are some combo's
http://www.geocities.com/alwest_83/dyno

I went with the Edelbrock RPM Performer in my 402 Stroker
I have the Air Gap Intake also.
Performer RPM Hydraulic, 1500-6500rpm, Valve Lift Intake 0.488, Exhaust 0.510
414 FWHP, 466 torque have not put in car yet.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Chryco Psycho

cuda66273

Your air velocity is too low, the Air Gap is probably too big for your application.

Bolt on a RPM, a 1" 4 hole spacer and maybe even a carb with a smaller venturi that will increase air velocity and get the fuel to the combustion chamber quicker and therefore in smaller molecules, increasing tork and driveability.

You'll probably need 18* or more of initial timing to clean up the idle with that cam.

TylerCharger69

That 509  isn't giving you the vacuum your car wants.  I'd go with a 484 with what you are running.  I'm running the Engle K54  and my vacuum is at a very steady 20.

Dodge69_440

Thanks a lot guys, I like the lower duration and high lift on the engle cams and will look into doing a swap when I come back for Christmas.