News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 year identification?

Started by keithduke01, July 19, 2006, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithduke01

help you guys! i have a 69 charger with the original 383, but i think the 727 was replaced, how can i identify the year of the transmission and whether or not it is the original transmission from my car.  any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

John_Kunkel

There is a raised pad on the lower bellhousing on the passenger side, a partial VIN will be stamped there and it should match the dash VIN.

If the VIN's don't match it isn't the original trans or if there is no raised pad the trans is earlier; in either case the transmission can be identified by the part number stamped in the drivers side of the case just above the pan gasket.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

keithduke01

if it isnt the original, how do i identify what it did come out of, and what year it is?

Chryco Psycho

post the #s from both the passenger side pad & the # just above the oil pan on the left side & we can determine what year it si 

keithduke01

I will be going home(NC) this weekend from nashville, so ill post the #s monday, until then thanks guys

keithduke01

the numbers on the 727 that came out of the car when i got it are 103-8 and 6R109604, i also have another 727 out of a 77 cordoba with the numbers 355-3 and 7R186865.  i can tell its not the original engine or tranny, seeing how my 383 numbers are RM23H9A198234, and my VIN is XP29H9B203702.  just wandering if you could help me find out what a 440 with the numbers 5C162794 came out of?  thanks again guys.

hemigeno

Quote from: keithduke01 on July 24, 2006, 05:37:09 PM
the numbers on the 727 that came out of the car when i got it are 103-8 and 6R109604, i also have another 727 out of a 77 cordoba with the numbers 355-3 and 7R186865.

I think the numbers mean:
6R109604  =  1976 model year, Windsor Ontario plant (early-built car)
7R186865  =  1977 model year, Windsor Ontario plant

Quote from: keithduke01 on July 24, 2006, 05:37:09 PM
just wandering if you could help me find out what a 440 with the numbers 5C162794 came out of?

Best I can tell, it was from a 1975 model-year C-body.  The "C" in the partial VIN indicates the Jefferson, MI plant, and I think they only made C-body (full-size) cars at that plant.

keithduke01

I thought that was what the numbers stood for, but i wasnt sure, thanks.  I was wandering because i just started my automatic transmission class here at Nashville Auto Diesel College, and near the end of the four week class, we have the opportunity to rebuild one of our transmissions in the shop, and i was wandering which year performance kit to buy for the tranny.  This site has been such a help to me in restoring my 69

hemigeno

keithduke,

Was your car coded for the J45 hood pins on the Fender Tag?  If it was, that's a fairly rare option according to the '69 Registry.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you register with Chris at:

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com

:cheers:

keithduke01

Hemi, the hood pins look stock, but unfortunately the all I have left of the fender tag is the two screw holes, the rest is gone, but I do have the build sheet, but I haven't had much luck decoding it, everything I find as far as decoding is only for the fender tag and VIN, but nothing so far for the build sheet, if you know some, any help would be appreciated.  And I have registered with chris. Its still a work in progress, and it looks worse than it is, would you believe I paid $1800 for the car, and it has a complete interior, and 383 and 727 that would run until the 383 spun #6 rod bearing.  I am currently attending Nashville Auto Diesel College, so I hope to have the college do the body work on the common rear sheetmetal.

hemigeno

If you can scan in the broadcast sheet or take a clear picture of it, I (or some other guys on here) can probably decode everything on it.  That's actually more valuable to establishing the factory equipment on the car than the fender tag is.  Armed with the broadcast sheet, you can have a new fender tag made.  I can almost certainly tell you what the original tag said, all from the broadcast sheet's info.

Either post it here, or PM/email it to me.  The larger/better resolution you can get, the easier it will be to decipher what it says.

Geno

keithduke01

Some of the sheet is "rusted" out by the springs from the rear seat, where it was discovered, but I will take the time to type it out on a program and post it, thanks a lot.

keithduke01

HERE IS THE BROADCAST(BUILD) SHEET IN WORD FORMAT, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO EMAIL IT TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN HELPING ME DECODE IT!

hemigeno

keithduke,

I did receive the email, and I will work on it tomorrow.  Looks like an interesting vehicle.  The Y13 code shows it to be a Dealer Demonstrator vehicle.  There's no J45 code, and I think it was too early of a car to have had them anyway (November 7th build date).

Sorry to cut and run, but I'm already late for another meeting, and then I have to head home.  I will set this by my PC and decode it tomorrow.

Geno