News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower Control Arm - Colour?

Started by Shakey, July 17, 2006, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I have been reading up on the proper colours for the suspension pieces and I do want to get as close possible.  Much thanks to Jet (www.69hemi.com) for sharing all of his hard work and experiences.

As far as the LCA is concerned I have heard the term "cosmoline".  A coating on the LCA to prevent it from rusting.

What alternative do I have for the colour of the LCA?

I was thinking an epoxy primer (Eastwood's Extreme Primer) and a couple of coats of Eastwood's Gold Cadmium over top.  Am I on the right track?

Is Gold Cad similar to Cosmoline?

Thanks in advance.

Dodge Don

If I understand it cosmoline is a oily goo that is also used to keep guns clean (at least I recall they used to use it on 50 cal machine guns in Viet Nam). I'm just doing mine with the Eastwood Gold Cad kit.

bill440rt

Don & Shakey,
Your answer is right in that Eastwood catalog. I did mine by first using Detail Gray paint, to simulate the look of bare steel, then using Eastwood's Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust in a spray can. You have to give it multiple coats, as it first will look pale yellow. When multiple coats are applied, it turns to that brownish/yellow tinge they're supposed to have. This stuff does not completely dry, just like Cosmoline, & stays a little sticky. But, that's how they were.
I think Eastwood now sells Cosmoline also in a spray can, but it might be the same stuff.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 17, 2006, 08:51:08 PM
If I understand it cosmoline is a oily goo that is also used to keep guns clean (at least I recall they used to use it on 50 cal machine guns in Viet Nam). I'm just doing mine with the Eastwood Gold Cad kit.

What - your 50 cal machine gun or your control arms?   :shruggy:

I thought machine guns were banned in ON after the squirrel massacre in '94.

Tell us some stories about Vietnam.  Did you get lucky with the girls that like f**ky, f**ky?

Shakey

Quote from: bill440rt on July 18, 2006, 03:16:57 PM
Don & Shakey,
Your answer is right in that Eastwood catalog. I did mine by first using Detail Gray paint, to simulate the look of bare steel, then using Eastwood's Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust in a spray can. You have to give it multiple coats, as it first will look pale yellow. When multiple coats are applied, it turns to that brownish/yellow tinge they're supposed to have. This stuff does not completely dry, just like Cosmoline, & stays a little sticky. But, that's how they were.
I think Eastwood now sells Cosmoline also in a spray can, but it might be the same stuff.

Since I have an unused can of Gold Cad - will it be close enough?

Thanks for the input guys.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on July 18, 2006, 08:35:23 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on July 17, 2006, 08:51:08 PM

What - your 50 cal machine gun or your control arms?   :shruggy:

I thought machine guns were banned in ON after the squirrel massacre in '94.

Tell us some stories about Vietnam.  Did you get lucky with the girls that like f**ky, f**ky?

I read it, in a book, back when I studied. Who am I kidding....I never studied  :icon_smile_big:

bill440rt

Quote from: Shakey on July 18, 2006, 08:37:06 PM

Since I have an unused can of Gold Cad - will it be close enough?

Thanks for the input guys.

The Gold Cad paint from Eastwood, if it's like the Gold Cad stuff I have from them, is designed to go over Chrome paint. It's basically candy yellow or "gold" paint. They also had cans of candy green & orange (Steps 3 & 4) to use on top of the gold to simulate Gold Cad plating. It worked good on small parts or items that were hard to replate.
For lower control arms, I don't think it's gonna give you the right color you want. You asked a question if it would work, & I gave you an answer.
Why not try it on a piece of scrap metal & see if it works for you? You'll find out it will be too yellow. Get the Cosmoline or Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust. That's the "correct" finish.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

I agree with Bill.  I did the Cosmoline (Eastwoods Heavy Duty Anti Rust) and sprayed it on  to the desired coloring (yellowish brown) and then let it dry.  I was then told also by a board member here (thanks Troy :thumbs:) about spraying Krylon's semi or low gloss clear over the cosmoline which hardens on top of the Coslmoline preventing anything from sticking to the cosmoline other than the clear.  I am very happy with the results and it looks dead on.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

472 R/T SE

You can do like Troy over on the A12 forum and use the battery protective covering.   That way you can get the dipping line accurate as well.

sixpack71 (Kori) uses floor varnish and when it needs touched up just get out a brush.