News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The 383 I picked up has a "Direct Connection" 509/292 Purple cam: more specs?

Started by AJ1966, July 02, 2006, 06:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ1966

Hello all, I took a chance, and bought a 383 from a 66 charger in the local paper, and in the list of specs it claims to have, it lists a "Direct Connection Purple Cam" 509 lift, 292 duration cam.........is there any info out there on this cam?  Is this some kind of old brand/technology?  I've heard of the Mopar Purple cams, but not "direct connection."  I tried to use the search feature, but no definitive defition/info out there on them....google comes up empty as well.  What else is there to know about this cam?  As far as I know, this engine has:

10.25:1 compression
66 heads, not sure if they have been ported, assume they aren't.
Direct connection 509 lift 292 dur cam
punched .030", crank turned .010
Offenhauser dual quad intake manifold.

I think I will remove that dual quad intake setup, doesn't seem like it's a smart option to use, does it?  Doesn't seem to warrant all that cfm/hardship and worse mpg with 2 carbs on there I assume....I'm also not really sure how much power this should make, or what stall speed the converter should be used with the 727 I also got from him....Any input?  I won't be putting this engine in for quite some time, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of parts to get for next season.  Thanks alot.

694spdRT

Direct connection was the old name for factory engineered Mopar performance parts. That cam is the current 509 cam listed today. There are now two grinds available and the one you have is not likely to be one of the newer street friendly grinds.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chryco Psycho

I really do not recommend the 509 cam for any combo, it has too to much duration to be drivable & is short on lift for the duration it has
I can recommend a far better cam If I know the intention for the engine/car etc       

AJ1966

Thx for the reply, I have 2 threads going on...the Comp Cam didn't seem that big compared to the Engle K56; I was just asking about it because I wasn't sure....

The goal for the car:

I want to drive it as much as possible.  On the weekends, when it's nice, I want to use it as much as I can.  While my old 318 poly is a turd, I drove that car even to other states, on long trips, etc etc, and it was a very reliable turnkey car.  I know when this engine/trans go in, I'll lose all my mpg and I probably won't be able to drive the car where I like, but I got a good deal on the engine/trans.  I don't plan on taking this car to the strip, and no real racing, just the occasional typical messing around......Basically, if this 383 is a little better than stock and has a healthy cam, I will be happy.  :yesnod:

Chryco Psycho

comparing cams you need to look at duration not lift , the Engle will have more lift butu generally less duration , duration will control the rpm of the powerband & the Engle cams are great for getting maximum breathing & still having good idle & vacuum for street use

firefighter3931

:iagree: The Engle hydraulic grinds have more high lift area than a comparatively sized Comp cam (duration) so they make better power. Not that the Comp's are bad cams.....they're just not as cutting edge as the Engle grinds. Feedback is allways good from those who've installed them in their motors.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs