News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

a little carb trouble

Started by 73-charger-383, June 28, 2006, 07:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

-- i've got an edelbrock carb on my 383.  if the car is cool, i can jump in, give it a quarter choke, and it fires right up. --when it's warm, it doesn't want to start at all.  if i choke it at all when it's warm, it almost seems like it sucks WAY to much gas into the cylinder.  it will turn over really slow,  like its got a ton of compression.  --when i try to adjust the mixture screws, there really isn't any change in idle speed unless it's turned almost all the way in (rich), which makes it almost die, or when it's turned WAY out.  There's probably about five turns in between which don't seem to be making any difference. ----------any ideas?

Brightyellow69rtse

mmmmmmmmm im just a noob at eddy s but if i remember correctly if the carb dosent respond to the mixture screws i think it means you have a vacuum leak somewhere, but listen to Ron or Neil im just a backyard wannabe....Mike

grouseman

You could also have some stuff in one of the tiny air bleeds or orificies.  Put some shop air into the idle mix screw holes and blast them out.  You may need to remove the primary clusters and blow them out as well.  Careful, as they are tiny holes and they have a convoluted path.  It may take a couple of blasts to dislodge some things. 

73-charger-383

okay, i'm really new to eddy carbs.....are you talking about just completly unscrewing those two adjustment screws, and blowing those holes out??

--when it was running, i sprayed ether around the intake, and the carb gasket, and noticed no difference in idle, so i'm thinking it's not a vaccum issue.