News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Beginning the Resto Process......Questions

Started by TylerCharger69, January 03, 2007, 02:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Hello, again  Charger fans....We are preparing to embark on putting this car on the rotisserie.  Like I had stated before, all of the necessary parts are ready, well...for the most part,  and I'm driving the crap out of it  until D-Day comes.   We are hoping to have a 2 to 3 month turnaround for this car  and we have been planning this for a little over a year, so I will probably be asking a lot of questions here as the project goes.  What I need is a picture of  1....the rear window area BEFORE glass is installed, inside and out, because I want to make sure we have a positive seal.  (Step by step photos  would be excellent!) along with the trim mounting studs.  (I have a minor rust issue there)   Number 2....Window adjustment.....I notice on my car that the windows (doors) don't seem to reach high enough to make it inside of the rubber seal even though the doors line up perfectly.   Is there an adjustment?   The only thing I can see is raise the entire door higher,  but like I said...it already lines up perfectly.    and lastly  (for now)   Number 3......What type of sound deadener and undercoating do you recommend?  The entire car inside, bottom,  etc.....is going to be painted, but since this will be a daily driver, I want to undercoat as well.   And also....body sealer (caulking?)  Where does it need to go?  I noticed some of pistolpete's resto  pics that there was a black type of sealer used in some key areas.  I think that should about cover it for now,  but if we run into something we are unsure of....of course I will ask.   Everybodys help is greatly appreciated!!!   Thanks!!!    Ace

Charger-Bodie

in my opinion the best advise you can get is get a factory service manual there is a ton of info in ther including the seam sealer thing , there will be times that you go to it and the info you need wont be there but for the most part it very good and the people here are also a very good resource as you already know and i still say do a really good job of painting the bottom and skip the undercoating but if you are going to undercoat it 3m wurth transtar ect all make good undercoating just dont use the rattle can stuff fet the gun and use the good stuff
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TylerCharger69

yes...i WOULD like to skip the undecoating, but being on the Gulf Coast...rust is a really bad problem here, so I figure if it's painted...AND undercoated,  that's double the protection.    I dunno...I'll probably like it painted and dispense with the undercoat....who knows.....I guess I'll make that decision when the time comes.

TylerCharger69

I would still like to know about the window adjustment   and a pic of the rear deck window area  WITHOUT the window   so I can see how it needs to look.

UFO

Regarding window adjustment.Remove door panel.Watch window track(inside the door).There is an adjustable stop.Theres both an UP stop and DOWN stop.Service manual doesn`t give a good pic.Its really easy when you look at it.

TylerCharger69

Isn't the up stop where the window meets the wing window rubber???   Because in the door panel....I don't see an up adjustment....where is it located exactly?

UFO

Heres the page from manual.I was thinking the rear quarter windows.In fig 25 theres an up stop.In checking some doors ,I dont see any indication of one being installed.There is some play in the three regulator screws.Push glass up while tighening.Is weatherstripping dried up + shrunk?Regulator in good condition?There are adjustments on it,but that would mean its way off.

UFO