News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repair old seats OR get better ones?

Started by skip68, November 24, 2005, 12:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

My 68 seats are in bad shape. The rear is not too bad, new covers would be okay but the fronts are gone. They will need new foam and covers. This is a floor shift, bucket seat car without headrest. SO, should I try to find others OR repair the ones I've got? :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Spartan

I would say get them recovered/refoamed.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

GTX

I say recover but look very carefully at the old frame when you get everything uncovered.

Mine looked pretty good until I pulled the old foam off and then I found severe rust and some rotted metal. The metal there is thinner and  if there is any moisture inside the material it obviously gets held against that metal for a long time.
Not worth putting on all new covers and foam if the frame is going to rot apart within 5 more years.

I had to look all over the place to finally find a new set.

Good luck!

Spartan

Ya, good point.  Mine were all rusty but nothing I couldn't sand off.  Used POR 15 over it and the springs look prime.  I brush painted mine but I have heard some get theirs dipped or sprayed.  Since they were getting covered up, I am not too concerned about it.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

bull

Strip them down to the frames and have the frames sand blasted (yes, sand). Then prime them with self-etching primer and paint them with several coats of paint. Then have them built back up with new foam and covers. You can get moulded foam for the front seats and all the correct covers from Legendary but the rear foam is a generic shape so any upholstery shop can replace that stuff. Another thing I've heard of doing is putting a chunk of carpet between the springs and seat foam to prevent the new foam from eventually collapsing.

skip68

Thanks Bull, I was looking at them today and other than worn,they're perfect. The drivers seat has some surface rust on the bottom by the bolt that goes through the floor but thats it. I'll sand blast them like you said, I think that's a good idea and start pricing foam. I guess I could go ahead and strip them down then because the upholstry shop should know how to redo them. THANK'S for the tips.      Chuck.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

8WHEELER

Yes its best to do your own if they are not rusted to death, or you want head rest seats and you
don't have them.  The seat foam seams to run right around $200.00 before and or after shipping.
I was way to chicken to do mine. I took a couple of mine into my local upholstery shop, they
sandbast the spring tracks re-paint them and then put it all back together for about $200 to $250
and they do a great job.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

skip68

Hey 8Wheeler, Those look beautiful! :drool5:  I don't have headrests in mine but do want them. where can I get them? Will they work on mine? And can I get them in saddle/Tan?  Thanks for the pics. It gives me something to look forward to. I'd better get to sleep because sunday is the day my seats are gett'n naked. THANK'S for info ...........Chuck.

8WHEELER

You would need to get a set of head rest seats, they are going for big bucks on ebay evan for junk.
A couple people I have talked to about the hardware said there non headrest seats had the
hardware inside the seat. I have never seen one, and have only heard of those two, most likely
a mistake or changed.

this tan??

Dan

skip68

Yep!!! That's the color. I think it's more like a cream or beige but everyone calls it saddle or tan. :shruggy: I am going to look into headrest hardware because I've got to have them. To me it just adds to the cars look :Twocents: Thanks for the pics and info. I'm going to look tonight and see what other seat frames are compatible that may have headrest in them. If I find something out I'll make shure to let you know. Once again , THANKS,    Chuck.

Brent69

Hey Chuck,

Let me know what you find out.  I have a 69 without headrests and I'd really like to add them.  My frames are in great shape, so if I could just add the headrests with some hardware mods, that would be great.

Thanks,
Brent

8WHEELER

Paul 500

If i had all this & the head rest would i be able to turn a non headrest seat into a headrest seat. Has any one got a picture of a bare frame of a non headrest seat 68 69. I've got a pic of a headrest seat frame. Thanks
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

runningman

I just got mine apart to have them redone.  I will post a pic of it tomorrow morning.  I am also converting mine to headrests.  The non-headrest seats have all the mounting points just none of the hardware.  I have picked some pieces I think I will need to mount them.  You have a pic of a bare seat with the headrest stuff installed?  thaniks matt

runningman

Okay I am going to try and post some pics

Paul 500

From those pics the frames look the same, all thats needed is those plastic bits & pieces
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500