News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why won't my 68 Charger roast the tires

Started by lee, May 30, 2006, 02:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

I got a 68 Charger in fairly good shape.It's got the 727 auto tranny and the 3:23 rearend but the guy I bought it from took the 318 out in 72 and put a 383 in it around 25000 miles now it just turned over 67000 excellent fuel mileage but its a dog at spinning the tires!!!!! The 383 is a truck engine so would it have a crappy cam ii it or is it the high gears in the rear end.I know its not the tranny it was redone at 45000.Or should I just stick to the good gas mileage it gets about 21 which isn't bad.Can someone please help????????????Lee

greenpigs

Are you sure its a 383?

Even if it is a low cr 400 it should be able to spin the tires and a 3:23 rear gear isn't a bad gear to have.

Can it spin the tires at all or just not as much as you would like?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

lee

I'm not trying to kill it but it only spins for about 5 seconds and it is a 383 and I know 323s are a good rearend so I don't have a clue  :-\

Jon Smith

694spdRT

Just hold the brake and floor it if you want to roast the tires off.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

moparguy01

something seems real wrong. again are you sure its a 383? ive seen 383s in c barges roast the tires before.

dodge freak

The weight of the back of the car has much to do with it as well as the tires, cheap tires spin easier than good ones. Spinning the tires is fun but you lose time on your take off and its easier to lose control of the car. I spend my time making it harder to spin by increase the weight in back with subwoofer and amps. The t.c. in the trans matters too. Get rid of some weight in back and get a looser t.c. and you could spin them much more. Have fun and be Careful.

terrible one

I think that the problem lays within the engine. Either it's way dogged out or it's a 318 or something instead of a 383, or both. Unless you are running some grippy 295's or 315's or so I don't see why you would have a problem getting them to break loose.

moparguy01

it could be that the engine just doesnt run worth a crap. i had a 64 polara that when i bought it was only running on 3 cylinders due to plug wires older than I am.

lee

It is a 383 I bought a few parts for it like gaskets etc. and I don't have any think in the trunk like a stereo that will knock the filling out of my head there is nothing in there.thats what I was talking about was holding the brake and stepping on the gas it just won't do it at all and the engine is running on all 8 cylinders so I don't know at all.

moparguy01

check your brakes. maybe they're holding up? did you pull each one of the plug wires individually to check to see if all 8 plugs are firing?

BigBlackDodge

Get a fat chic to sit on the hood while burning them down! :yesnod:

BBD

mikepmcs

crap i saw the BBD post and thought it was gonna be a revelation, but alas just a joke, a good one though, i'm tryin it though, no problem finding one of them out here.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chryco Psycho

Seriously generally the problem is the torque converter , the factory stall especially trucks is too low
you need to install a 2500 stall converter , cam could help too depending what grind you used

Sledge57

Keep in mind 383's ain't exactly the torque monsters of the BB family.

My car, when it had the 383 with 3.23's was doggy outta the hole too, needed water to get em started  :icon_smile_big:

A new converter and 3.91 gears and it could burn em off the rims and ran 14.2's which ain't bad for a big ole car with a 383.
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

is_it_EVER_done?

If you are seriously getting 21 MPG you don't have 3.23's in the rear, and that would be your problem. I've had dozens of 383's over the years, and with 3.23's you can only squeeze about 16 or 17 MPG in normall everyday driving (though even with high gears I was never able to achieve 21 :o).

If your mileage and rear end ratio is accurate, and it is definitely a 383, then it has to be running so lean that I'm surprised it runs. Are you certain it's not a 318? if so, pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like - post a pic if you can.