News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear view mirror

Started by tburns, February 11, 2007, 08:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tburns

The rear view mirror in my '71 is very loose and I can't get it to stay in position.  The minute the car goes into gear the mirror angles down and needless to say I can't see out the back (plus I only have a driver's side side mirror and that doesn't work that great).  Any suggestions on how to get the mirror to stay in place?  I was considering super glue or shimming it with a toothpick, but wanted to see if anyone else could help first.

Chatt69chgr

I am not sure how 71 rearview mirrors are put together but I reworked the one off my 69.  It has a spring steel piece underneath retained by two sheet metal screws.  That pushes against the ball.  You might take the think off and disassemble it and see if this is the problem.  You can rebend that piece to help some.  Chrysler was famous for using the same parts on numerous cars.  I bet parts of that mirror or maybe the whole thing is one other cars too.  Might check junkyards but don't wait too long.  They are crushing everything and sending it to China.

tburns

Chatt69, thanks; I fixed it.  I took it off and there was no spring just a metal plate that was not screwed in that tight. I shimmed it with a think piece of cardboard and then tightened down the plate.  Works good as new; I can actually see through my rear window now!

Chatt69chgr

The rearview mirror on my 69 is put together the same way.  Had the same problem and fixed it more or less like you did.  Glad you got yours working.