News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Go-Wing naturaul or painted?

Started by jackel440, June 06, 2006, 03:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

I bought a repo 71 style wing for my 72 about 4yrs ago and i love it except now it is looking dull as i installed it right out of the box.My problem is it looks like its all chalky not the nice black satin sheen it had when i installed it.I  can best describe it as looking like the black plastic bumper covers on the ram trucks.I put armor all on it when i go to shows and if i put enough on it it looks good but it doesn't seem to last long.
does the original ones do this or were they painted?
I thought about getting some of that back to black by mothers and try that.any one got and idea?

Drop Top

The best thing in my opinion is painting right out of the box. The factory painted them with a textured paint that you can no longer get (as far as I know). The problem you have now is the Armor-All. This stuff gets into the pors and its very hard to remove off the part. If you try to paint now you will have a big problem with fish-eye. Its almost impossable to get rid of the residew from the Armor-All. Your going to have to strip all of the armor-all before anything else can be done with it. Don't try to sand it off. This will only make it worse. Try using wax and grease remover first. Then use spray and wash and warm soapy water. Use a grease removing dish soap for that. After all that use the wax and grease remover agian. Everytime you wash the spoiler make shure you use a new sponge or wash rag. You don't want to let the resadew from the last wash to contaminat the next washing. After your done with the cleanning then you can use a product called Ting or something simular and a 3M scuff pad to prep it for paint. Ting is a strong soapy product with grit in it. Its made for scuffing and cleanning at the same time and will help with getting rid of any contaminations. You still may have to use a fish-eye previntor in your paint. Good Luck D/T