News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's a good voltage regulator?

Started by Dino, August 11, 2024, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

My system is no longer charging. I tested voltage at the alternator fields and have battery voltage on both. I thought the output field had to be a lot less. Both read zero with key off. I connected a lead on the output field and watched the battery reading. When I touch it to ground the voltage goes up to 16+. Correct me if I'm wrong but that tells me the alternator is fine. So I guess the VR is bad. I have the 1970 and up style. I'm going to Mancini Racing tomorrow. They have 5 in that style. Which one would you get? I currently have the top one with yellow lettering. I'm running a 120 amp alternator id that matters. All wiring is beefed up.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

I use the 1st one with my 120amp Denso.

Dino

That's the one I have now. Not sure why it died on me. Still, probably the best one.

b5blue

Mine was like 25.00 10-15 years ago. Be certain the case has good grounding.

metallicareload99

Seems the alternator can still make electricity, so I think you are on the right path. I'm also currently using the same top one with yellow lettering also, with a 130 amp alternator.

If I had to buy one right now I'd either get that Mancini $26 one or go to the parts store and get one for a 1970's Dodge Whatever. Get two if you're suspicious  :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Dino

On a positive note, since turn signals are giving me grief, the new regulator works. I have 14V at the battery   :2thumbs: