News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

All new steel body

Started by mally69, October 07, 2022, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

I see there are a few places selling 70 challenger brand new full steel bodies. Has there been any talk of a 68-70 Charger  new steel bodies being made??? I emailed a few places never heard back ill email again asking the same question.

70 sublime

Nobody makes new 70 front fenders or hoods in metal so it will not be a 70  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

6pkrtse

I would think with the prices that absolute junk cars are bringing someone like Dynacorn, AMD or Goodmark would offer one eventually.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

mally69

Quote from: 6pkrtse on October 07, 2022, 01:40:06 PM
I would think with the prices that absolute junk cars are bringing someone like Dynacorn, AMD or Goodmark would offer one eventually.

Thats what i was thinking, i emailed dynacorn and another one called brandnewmusclecar.com still waiting to see what they say.

Mike DC

A new Charger is not gonna happen any time soon.  Maybe never.    

They made the reproduction Challenger body several years ago* and it should have been a 68-70 Charger.  The rumor is that they lost a ton of money on the new Challys and now they will probably never make a Charger.  

The reproduction industry has spent the last 30 years convinced that the Challenger/Cuda is the most popular Mopar even though it's obviously the 68-70 Charger.  

*Does the new Challenger really exist?  It exists on paper but I have never seen anything tangible.  Never heard of anybody using one.  Never seen pics of new bodies being assembled, or shipped, etc.   They toured around a new body to advertise it, but a few sources have said that was actually an old Challenger body in primer with new exterior panels.  

Kern Dog

I have never heard of anyone that bought a new Dynacorn Challenger body. I recall hearing that some company made 1969 Camaro bodies but have no recollection of any of those being bought either.
The 68-70 Charger hasn't always been the hottest Mopar to own. 20 years ago, the Challenger and Barracuda-'Cuda were the most desirable from what I recall.

Mike DC

E-bodies can command higher prices, especially VIN cars.  But I'm not convinced that the overall size of the market for them has ever been bigger than 68-70 Chargers.  

That's why they already produce new body shells for Chevy Novas & Mustangs and not E-body Cudas.  "Chevys & Fords are more popular.  It's the size of the market that counts, not the pricetags on the cars."  But if you suggest that maybe Dodge Chargers shoud be made before E-bodies, suddenly that market size argument is nowhere to be found.  All you hear is "E-bodies bring higher prices".  

:Twocents:

Take a fixable project '69 Charger and a project E-body.  Park them both out in public with 'for sale' signs.  See which one gets more calls.  My money is on the Charger every time.        

Does anybody think a 64-66 Mustang convertible body is worth more than an E-body or Charger?  No effing way.  But the Mustangs get reproduced.    

Mike DC

Okay, here is somebody looking over a new Dyancorn Challenger shell.  They really do exist.  I guess I can put that conspiracy theory to rest. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6GLCtPCgI

mally69

I agree the charger ALWAYS gets more attention. Everytime i got to a show everyones always crawling over mine . Ive witnessed that at every car show i ever attended. I truely cant figure out why they went with a 70 challenger either to be honest. Made no sense in my mind

70 sublime

Total cost in the end

Can you not find a real car that would be cheaper in the end by the time you buy all the little bits to put on a shell that does not have a real ownership unless you are going to swap a VIN onto it and we all know how everyone feels about that

Yes I know you will know what you have a nice perfect shell with no surprises but is it really worth it because I am pretty sure it will not be cheaper
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JimShine

I thought AMD's endgame was to reproduce each body part and eventually offer a shell? Maybe they hit a wall with their products fit and gave up?

Mike DC

The thinking behind new repro bodies was not to replace old project cars.  It was to be giant replacement part.  

Instead of using an old car + $40,000 in new panels & body shop labor, you would use an old car + a $17,000 repro shell.  

The chicken-n-egg quality problem is still screwing things up though.  Repro stuff is lower-quality, because nobody wants to pay orignal prices for repro stuff . . . because we know the repro stuff is lower quality.  

472 R/T SE

So, we can buy the newly announced direct connection carbon fiber 1970 Charger rig as a complete shell or pick & chose parts?
Like front clips?

Mike DC

QuoteSo, we can buy the newly announced direct connection carbon fiber 1970 Charger rig as a complete shell or pick & chose parts?
Like front clips?

AFAIK it's all coming from Speedkore.  They will make anything you want if you can pay for it.  They had some individual panels listed for sale on their website when I looked a couple years ago. 

twenty mike mike

Going to all the trouble to make 90% of a car and leave the rest to competitors is an interesting business model.

If someone signs up for a Challenger body expecting to buy the rest from AMD, there is going to be a rude awakening, and good luck finding used fenders and a hood in decent condition. But who would want to install nasty old parts on a brand new body?

Maybe that's why Dynacorn isn't flooding the market with new Challengers.