News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 transmission stampings

Started by WestWeires, September 22, 2021, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestWeires

I have a broadcast sheet for a 1968 Charger I have a deposit on.  It shows code 39-3 for transmission, a four speed (383 4 bbl car), which the seller says the car was born with (4 speed and 383 still in the car).  The fender tag is in very poor condition, rusted through in most places, so I can't double check the transmission code here.

I am going to be inspecting the car on a lift soon and was told by the seller that the transmission has no stamping on it and that sometimes this was the case from the factory.  Is this true?  Is there another way to verify whether this specific transmission actually originally came with the car?

The car seems pretty honest to me and knowing that it was born with a four speed is the big thing.  If it's a correct replacement 4 speed I don't really have a problem with that but I think I should pay a little less if this is the case.  

Thanks in advance for you knowledgeable input.

70 sublime

I have a 4 speed that has no numbers on it
I believe the earlier transmissions did not have numbers on them
Not sure when the numbers started
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69CoronetRT

68 stampings can be hit and miss depending on the plant, the time of the year and the application.

When you get the car in the air, look on the passenger's side and see if you see a pad like the one pictured.
IF it is there, you MAY see a VIN number (hopefully that matches the VIN plate on the dash) and/or the assembly date in the 10,000 day format.

IF the VIN is there, that would confirm the original transmission.
IF the VIN is not there but the assembly date is there, then you want the assembly date to be before the Scheduled Production Date listed on the broadcast sheet. That MAY indicate the transmission is original.
If the assembly date is well after the SPD or you find a VIN that doesn't match your car, that indicates the transmission is not original.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

WestWeires

Thanks guys.  With the car on a lift I looked at the stamping pad today.  There are definitely stampings on it but they are very shallow and were hard to read in the lighting I had available to me.  I will take another look at them under better conditions and see if any of it is legible.

Voss

Quote from: WestWeires on September 22, 2021, 09:40:54 PM
I have a broadcast sheet for a 1968 Charger I have a deposit on.  It shows code 39-3 for transmission, a four speed (383 4 bbl car), which the seller says the car was born with (4 speed and 383 still in the car).  The fender tag is in very poor condition, rusted through in most places, so I can't double check the transmission code here.

I am going to be inspecting the car on a lift soon and was told by the seller that the transmission has no stamping on it and that sometimes this was the case from the factory.  Is this true?  Is there another way to verify whether this specific transmission actually originally came with the car?

The car seems pretty honest to me and knowing that it was born with a four speed is the big thing.  If it's a correct replacement 4 speed I don't really have a problem with that but I think I should pay a little less if this is the case.  

Thanks in advance for you knowledgeable input.

I had a pretty bad fender tag, hard to read but not rusted through. If you gently remove it and turn it upside down you might be able to read whats on it. That's how I did decode mine. I know this isn't the answer on the question about transmission stampings but thought I would share the tip anyhow. As for the transmission stamping, try to clean the area as much as you could and see if that helps. I used a piece of carbon paper once and used the backside of a pen to get a copy of the stampings. Could work for you as well. Good luck with the buy!