News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many amps can stock wiring handle?

Started by timinator, May 27, 2006, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I'm restoring my 69 Charger. I'm planning on adding air conditioning and a Be Cool radiator with dual fans. I'm replacing the alternator but was wondering how many amps the stock wiring can take. The radiator fans are showing a 40 amp circuit. Anybody running AC with electric fans too? I don't want to overload the system and was wondering if it will be able to handle the additional current. I've heard people installing larger alternators and frying the wiring. Any recommendations on an alternator too? 

dodge freak

All you have to do is run a large wire 4 gauge or maybe 2 from the alternator back to the battery. Look at sites that have how to run amps for the radio, samething but you are doing fans not amps. If you then run new wires for the fans everything will be fine. The stock wire is to small even for stock , it would not hurt to do it to all the old cars. I leave my old wires alone just add a wire from the alternator back to the battery to help the old wire handle the increase amps. You may want to get a larger ground wire too.

Nacho-RT74

do you have single field alt with mechanical regulator or dual fiel alt with elect regulator ?

Stock wires in good conditions was designed to drive around 55 amps but now with old wires and rusty and loosen terminals mostly of times they hardly are able to drive stock loads and are very tipical found burned wires and terminals at bulkhead on heavier black wire coming from alt and the red with fuse link one coming from batt/starter relay.

What MaMopar did on those stock days was add a parallel wires to these ones up to stock ammeter with more than 60 amps alternators, mostly installed on tow package cars, throught firewall with a grommet and also heavier fuse link.

What I did is exactly the same, running a stock lates 70s Mopar alternator what have around 90 amps power output and extra parallel wires to keep the car "stock" and all hevier loads will be drive by all wires specially the new heavier ones.

I'm REALLY happy with what I made and right now I'm able to use 4 halogen head lights beams, with also AC working and stopped on traffic at night and just get a sligthly discharge read, almost unnoticeable. Once you get running the car again, ammeter needle moves quickly to charge side for a few seconds untill gets again balanced charge system.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html