News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What oil would you use on this 440 engine?

Started by dspaulding70, April 26, 2020, 09:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

Guy who did my engine rebuild did not give me the specs on the oil and I cannot reach him.  Any thoughts?

Hydraulic Cam 472 lift and 262 Duration
1800-2000 Stall 
10.0:1 Compression
True roller timing chain
Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum intake manifold
Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads
Roller Rockers
Forged Keith Black pistons
Custom built push rods
.060 Bore size

Calif240

My build is a 440 0.30 over with Scorpion hydraulic lifters, comp cam not too far off your lift/duration.

My builder said go with straight weight 40 unless you're doing a lot of winter driving (I'm not). I usually use 15w40 Brad Penn just so my winter startups aren't hard on the oiling system. Everything in my engine looks great and the Brad Penn is pricey, but worth it.

Engine builder said the older engines aren't quite as "tight" as the new ones, so you want a heavier weight that really gets between the larger gaps.

I'm not an engine expert, just passing on what my builder said, so take it with a grain of salt.

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Calif240

***Meant Scorpion Roller (with Comp roller rockers)

dspaulding70

Calif240

No Prob... also, remember you'll want to use a break-in oil if this is a new build for the first several hundred miles. I just used Brad Penn break-in oil (which is straight 30 weight). Not sure if your question was more for immediate break-in or later.

c00nhunterjoe

The list of hard parts does not dictate the oil needed. The clearances set during the machining process does. Without knowing those, and assuming it was not set up as a race build, i would recommend a high zinc 10w40 to start with. Check cold oil pressure vs hot oil pressure. You dont want cold too high and blow oil filters off. 70-80 psi cold is acceptable,  i like to see 25-30 hot at low idle with a 55-60 psi at cruise rpm. If your numbers are too high with 10w40, step down to 10w30. Vice versa, step up to 20w50. On flat tappet builds i prefer bradpenn oil. Roller- Lucas

John_Kunkel

:iagree: I would want to know the EXACT rod/main bearing clearance before choosing an oil weight.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.