News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Axle

Started by DBZ Charger, April 10, 2020, 05:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBZ Charger

Awhile ago I picked up some parts from a guy getting rid of his project. I got a rear axle from him & want to make sure it will fit my 73SE. Is there a part number or some type of stamp on it that will let me know for sure what I got ? Then what's the best way to set up the axles? I'm  looking at going green bearings from Dr. Diff. Any help appreciated.

Kern Dog

Green bearings are mostly a benefit for people that are not smart enough to adjust the factory axle bearings....a task that anyone with a 80 point I.Q. can figure out.
The 71-72 B body 8 3/4" axle is the closest to a direct fit but you'll need the U bolts and shock absorber plates. The '73'74 stuff is different.
Check the width of your current axle and compare it to the axle you got from the guy. If there is a part number for an axle housing, I am not aware of it or where it would be located. The mounts on the axle need to match the width of the leaf spring spacing, obviously. If the spring pads are not in the right spot, a welder can relocate them. The drive shaft will need to be cut or lengthened now.

Mike DC

Another vote to keep the stock bearings.  They are superior on street-driven vehicles that see cornering loads. 

Green bearings work fine on drag cars that only drive hard in a straight line and don't see a lot of miles in general.   

Brass

The old green bearing debate. Talk to Dr Diff.