News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suspension squeak/bind

Started by haueter66, April 30, 2006, 06:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

ok here goes.  I know alot of people talk about "squeaks" with poly suspensions... I have a poly suspension and I am getting a noise from the from suspension but before we just blame the poly bushings please let me explain why I dont think that is the problem.  The noise I am getting is almost a constant metal on metal bind type noise.  It is so hard to explain it... but try to imagine that it seems like as long as the car is in motion with the suspension only moving ever so slightly it is there.  this noise.  not a squeak but maybe friction of some sort?  I thought maybe torsion bar or something?  I am really at a loss here... any thoughts?

Chryco Psycho

possibly from the rear ?
the leafs may not have the isolators between them & could be squeeking as they rub 

haueter66

ahh... Ill have to look into that... from inside the car it seems like the sound is from in front but im sure it could be deceiving... the srpings are new from detroit... I have heard of using 90 weight gear oil to stop them from squeaking if that is the problem... any thought on that?

haueter66

Ok.  I did some checking today since the weather is so nice finally.  The sound is definately coming from the front end.  I tried spraying everything with white lithium grease, but as I figured it did not help.  I suppose the only way to really get lube down in is to tear apart and re-assemble.  I will keep trying to find the source and will keep everyone posted!

Chryco Psycho

good luck , I could be of more help if i was there probably

haueter66

thanks!  if i get it sorted out ill let you know.

haueter66

Ok.  I am pretty sure I have the noise isolated to the drivers side upper "A" arm.  So, I was thinking I can mark the cam bolts so as to get my alignment back to where it is and then just knock the spindle off the A arm and remove the A arm without undoing the entire suspension.  Is this reasonable?  Can the upper A arm be removed without taking the suspension off the car?

Thanks

Mark

Chryco Psycho

Yes that can work , the cam bolts need to be removed & split the upper ball joint & the upper control arm can be removed

haueter66

ok.  ill give it a shot on my days off next week... ill let you know how it goes... thanks again!

haueter66

Ok.  Problem Fixed!  I took the cam bolts out of the "a" arm and just pulled it out far enough to grease it without even needing to take the ball joint loose.  I sprayed everything liberally with white lithium grease and the problem seems solved.

Thanks

Mark