News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Zoomie pipes, thoughts?

Started by F8-4life, September 19, 2015, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAD-MAX-ZOOMIE-ZOOMIES-HEADERS-EXHAUST-SIDE-PIPES-VAN-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-FORD-/271963247326?hash=item3f5245d2de&vxp=mtr

I found these pipes on ebay and was thinking about them for my car ('68 charger 440) They sure would look pretty cool and give my car that 70's look.
Am I crazy for considering this? Any thoughts or opinions?  The setup would be a 440, hooker headers into flowmaster mufflers and out the sides behind the door.
The car is not a restored car, its a project and is going to be matt black.

XH29N0G

First thoughts (and take this in a positive way even though it may come across as cheeky).

• Excellent!
  • Crazy - definitely yes.
  • 70's look - Check - I was 5 in 1970 so it probably looked like the hotwheels I had.
  • My son's car on the mad max video game is set up this way so their name is also appropriate.

OK, so enough enthusiasm.  I don't think I would do it because I like the cars with as clean a look as possible.  I am thinking of going back to turn down exhaust because that is what mine had rather than the straight out tips.  But I also think to each his/her own, and I would do it if you want to.  You can always change it back if you decide later you like something else.

PS my dad's car - now mine was and is F8  (he also chose similar colors for a 74 Pinto, a 99 v70 and and F type jaguar)

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

Wouldn't the upwards pipes burn your paint off, or something?  Or wouldn't they burn you if you walked by it while the car was running?   :shruggy:

DeltaV

Not worth the attention you will receive from law enforcement officers.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

dual fours

First off, will Zoomie pipes be Street Legal the way your car is Registered, where you live?
Yes, do something different, you can undoit later if you find out it's not you.
It would look 70's for sure, some crazy stuff back then.
It would have that Funny Car look of Headers exiting the side.
Oh and keep a full set of 8 tennis balls or what ever fits the tubes, four and four Daisy Chained together to plug them up at car shows, Stupid People have a tendency to drop things down them. And that may rattle till it blows out.

Here's a 66' with Zoomies.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

suburbanfireman

I don't know what is cooler about the 68 charger in the video - the zoomie pipes or the fact that it needs a drag-chute!!  Way cool!!  :2thumbs:

I vote that you buy the zoomies and let your freak flag fly!  You can always take them off the car if you change your mind later.  My :Twocents:
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Ghoste

But know that they will mess up the paint.

RallyeMike

Groovey. Go for it!

I made some for my 60 Plymouth Wagon. No problems with burned paint or pants legs. Its just exhaust point out the side rather than out the back. I think the bigger concern is pointing them up where they are an annoyance in traffic and collect rainwater. The later can be fixed by drilling in drain holes:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

I had a set on an e-body but unlike your wagon photo they pointed up, not out.  They definitely screwed up the paint.

heyoldguy

Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? Who's car is it?

myk

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 22, 2015, 08:03:10 AM

The OP clearly asked for our thoughts or opinions on the matter.  If you doubt me, please re-read the third and fourth sentence in the first post of this thread...

John_Kunkel

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 22, 2015, 08:03:10 AM

I agree...just stay the hell away from my neighborhood.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

F8-4life

Bump for an old post.
I now think zoomies are a little much, but I am still after something different for my car.

I think old school thrush side pipes would be pretty cool.

If anybody has some pics of that setup on a B body mopar post them up please.

c00nhunterjoe

Imo, if you are going for the radical pipes, you need a radical motor, otherwise it sounds like an old man taking a dump after taco night.

Lennard

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 21, 2018, 07:32:01 PM
Imo, if you are going for the radical pipes, you need a radical motor, otherwise it sounds like an old man taking a dump after taco night.
:iagree: and nice comparison.  :lol:

It also pushes the tire smoke out making for a better burnout  :2thumbs: