News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OEM original electric trunk lock ???

Started by Kern Dog, September 17, 2018, 11:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

The December issue of the Mopar Muscle magazine featured  red '68 Charger...nice car. They had a caption where they claimed it came with a "rare" set of options including electric latch assemblies for both the trunk AND hood.
Has anyone ever seen one of these?
I added an electric latch to mine but it was from a late 80s Diplomat or 5th Avenue car. I had no idea they were available so long ago.

ChargerST

I'm 99% sure that there was no such option. The early remote trunk releases (C-body) were vacuum operated afaik.

A383Wing

No electric or vacuum remote hood-trunk locks were evered offered on our cars.....not to say that you couldn't put one on, but they were never offered from the factory

Ghoste

You would think a Mopar mag would have a fact checker go over that kind of stuff.

RiverRaider

Could it have been something the dealer offered?
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Nacho-RT74

As far I recall, 3rd gens got it optioned
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Dealer could certainly have installed one but I don't think I would consider that to be an "option".  When I think of that, I think of items the factory offered from the assembly line.  What if the dealer offered dingle balls to outline your windshield, we wouldn't call that an option would we? 
I agree some will see it as a grey area but my opinion is as stated.  :Twocents:

Back N Black

I have a friend with a first Gen charger with a remote trunk lock, vacuum operated, would that be from the factory or dealer installed?

A383Wing

Quote from: Back N Black on September 21, 2018, 02:32:42 PM
I have a friend with a first Gen charger with a remote trunk lock, vacuum operated, would that be from the factory or dealer installed?

I have a vacuum release for the trunk in one of my 66's......

and to answer your question, neither factory or dealer installed......some previous owner probably did it like I did a long time ago

Ryan.C

I have a '66 300 that has a factory vacuum operated trunk release. So they were around then.  :Twocents:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

UFO

I'm sure if you dug around in a accessories book you will find a field install kit containing all the parts needed. Sure it would be listed as a "C" body kit, but could be installed in well almost anything. I grabbed a setup years ago, the vacuum lock mechanism has the same mounting points as a second gen charger.

bull

6pkrtse

My red Charger is an R/T S.E. and loaded with options. It has one on it. Looks all factory. Chrysler part number and button and all. It was on the car when I bought it over 28 years ago. Still works good today.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Ghoste

More than likely though that it was a dealer installed option sometime in the twenty years prior to you getting it.  It would have the Chrysler part number and look factory because it would be from Chrysler and engineered to be universal coming from the accesories catalog.

Kern Dog

I guess you'd need access to a dealer order book to know what options were actually available, right?

A383Wing

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 28, 2018, 04:58:07 PM
I guess you'd need access to a dealer order book to know what options were actually available, right?

Remote trunk release was not available on the B-body back then