News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding 727, need tips on parts

Started by phantom, June 29, 2018, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom

Hey.

So the reverse band broke in my 727, so i was thinking, when i now have dismantled the whole transmission, i might as well upgrade it.

What parts do you recommend i put in? Bolt-in sprag, any recommendations? Cluchpacks, Red Eagle? Billet servos, any particular brand? Shiftkit?

Challenger340

Quote from: phantom on June 29, 2018, 11:00:31 AM
Hey.

So the reverse band broke in my 727, so i was thinking, when i now have dismantled the whole transmission, i might as well upgrade it.

What parts do you recommend i put in? Bolt-in sprag, any recommendations? Cluchpacks, Red Eagle? Billet servos, any particular brand? Shiftkit?

Depends what's in front of it for an engine ?  hp/trq, shift rpm and what you want in shift quality. etc.

IMO, John Kunkel will give good rec's, if he doesn't see this and reply on his own then maybe shoot him a pm ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

phantom

440, dynoed at 424hp and 661Nm at the crank. People i've talked to say i should prepare it in case i want more power later. But i only use it on the street, never dragracing.

John_Kunkel

All the upgrade parts you mention are nice if you want to spend the money but a stock rebuild with good parts and a TF-2 reprogramming kit is all you really need. Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels are nice along with red-lined bands, I'm not a fan of Kevlar bands.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

phantom

Thanks :) But would it be smart to change the reverse servo to a billet at least? Heard it is a weak link in the trans. Will it cope with 450-500hp?

John_Kunkel

Failure of the rear servo piston isn't related to HP, they can fail in a /6 transmission when subjected to higher line pressure which comes with a performance build. Sure, if it makes you feel better go for the billet piece...not that expensive.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Street car doing burnouts, i would upgrade the sprag and drum if i were spending money. And an a&a shield cause i like my ankles.

Calif240

Checkout A&A transmission in Camby, Indiana. They specialize in Mopar. Awesome stuff, super knowledgable guys.
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.