News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Torque Converter ?

Started by yxkullsgatan, July 03, 2018, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yxkullsgatan

Hello,

I'd like to know what Torque converter I have to buy for 73 dodge Charger 318 2BBL, There are 22 splines on the transmission and it's written 452-6  (on the transmission)

Thanks

Nacho-RT74

everything depending on the rest of engine and axle combo... is not just about the tranny.

Compression rate
Camshaft specs
axle ratio
tires size
car weight

If you are not modifying the engine, keep the stock one. It works good. These use to be on 2200 stall speed rate

and even with just light mods, the stock one works nicelly
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

yxkullsgatan

Thanks @Nacho-RT74

I ordered this one "ACC 53022 11" 1600-2200 Stall TF-904 Torque Converter Torqueflite MOPAR 67-Up" from kmjperformance.

But it's too big, so they told me you need to count the splines off the transmission which I did, there are 22 splines, but I'm still waiting for their answer since yesterday afternoon...

will

It's Independence Day here, national holiday. I wouldn't expect a response today.

John_Kunkel

A '73 904 input shaft has 27 splines. The input shaft is the small shaft that extends from the larger splined shaft.

How is the converter "too big"? Ring gear? Hub?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

yxkullsgatan

@John_Kunkel

Diameter is bigger than my old torque converter.

We have counted 22 splines for both shaft

There are 122 splines on my original torque converter and 127 on the B&M 10416 Torque converter (I've made a mistake it's not "ACC 53022 11" 1600-2200 Stall TF-904 Torque Converter Torqueflite MOPAR 67-Up)

John_Kunkel

I think you need new glasses. The B&M 10416 converter is for a 727 and ALL 727's have a 130-tooth ring gear.

And ALL '62-later 904's have a 122-tooth ring gear and '68-later have a 27-spline input shaft.

yxkullsgatan

@John_Kunkel Thanks for your reply, I don't need glasses at all, nobody's perfect !

John_Kunkel

Didn't mean to offend but without the proper info it's hard to render help.

yxkullsgatan

@John_Kunkel

No problem, I agree with you, but there are lots of differents parts for the same year, same engine etc.. So I'm learning little by little and thanks again to take time to answer me.