News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New internet hookup: DSL, cable or what?

Started by bull, August 12, 2005, 02:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've finally decided to crawl into the current century with my ISP so I need some advice. First of all I don't even know for sure what all is available so this might be a moot issue, but I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on the differences and preferences of high speed internet connections? I can get Verizon DSL but I haven't checked on the others. I'm about 95% sure cable internet is available because TV cable is. So what's the difference between cable, DSL, broadband, etc.? Which do you think is best?

Dodge-Charger

I have dial up at home  :flame: I have High Speed in the motel room  :boogie: :boogie: Any Questions ?

No but really, cable would be a great choice if you have the cable TV allready. It should not be a problem to get I wouldnt think.

ChargerRob

DSL is the way to go.  :thumbs:  You dont have to share the internet connection like you do with cable.  :)
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: ChargerRob on August 12, 2005, 03:27:38 PM
DSL is the way to go. :thumbs: You dont have to share the internet connection like you do with cable. :)

DSL service shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same DSLAM. Cable shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same CMTS.

DSL's advantage?
The dedicated circuit prevents other users from affecting your connection to any significant degree. (In most cases.)

Cable's advantage?
Generally cable can support higher bandwidth rates, and can usually provide service to a larger area than 18,000 wire-feet, DSL's limit.

Cable modems are typically faster for downloads than most if not all DSL lines, when the cable infrastructure is new or well maintained. One of the most common complaints seen in our cable forums is that of increased latency and other problems as more subscribers in a given area come on line. Additionally, cable has a few other disadvantages when compared to DSL.

The first disadvantage is that cable is an RF network -- this means that it is vulnerable to transient problems "within the network" from RF interference. Since cable is a shared media, there is a possibility that performance may degrade over time as additional households plug in, connect additional devices (videos, game machines etc.) to the TV lines.

A cable company may react slowly to decreases in performance if it reacts at all, as they never sell access by speed, or promise consistent speed or latency.

Another of the disadvantages of cable over DSL is the upstream (return path). Cable companies are using a very narrow band for return signalling, and this is positioned below all the space allocated for TV channels. This band is prone to RF interference and is very limited in capacity. Upstream transmissions may therefore compete with others in the area, get delayed (suffer high latency) due to noise fighting techniques, and cable TOS (Terms Of Service) typically prohibit any kind of constant upstream use. Internet use is shifting away from central servers broadcasting to many individuals and some interesting peer to peer applications are appearing (games, voice and video applications, communal libraries). These applications need a strong upstream channel.

In summary, cable modems are currently good value and strong competition for residential casual use, often available more cheaply and far faster than their ADSL competition. However, DSL is probably the more future-proof system, offering digital direct from the internet infrastructure. If your DSL ISP is on the ball, your performance in either direction will not be different from peak hour to early morning, and DSL lines are available for a wide variety of purposes, both business and residential.

SirNik73

I had Cable in my old apartment that i was sharing with 3 computer nerds. it was fast. i think 3Mbps (of what ever the speed is, i know it starts with a 3) and it was nice. but after 6 months all the promotions wore off and it was costing around $100 a month. but we did have cable TV. in my new apartment it was just ne and one roommate who didn't car about TV or internet so i got DSL for $35 a month flat rate. so it never went up. i don't have cable TV witch is kinda sad and the speed is only 1.5Mbps (same note as to speed) but with only me usting it it seems faster then the cable split 4 ways.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Silver R/T

Its up to you, Ive got DSL and its pretty fast. it all depends on speed you want. if youre into online gaming look for biggest upload speed, if just fast downloads/web surf look for fastest download speed.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drache

Cable internet isn't ALWAYS where cable TV is. It's not the same line and your cable company would have had to lay the new lines at one point right besides the exsisting cable TV lines.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

69bananabeast

If you do get cable   Do Not get your Phone, Tv , and Internet all in one package even though its cheaper.  If you do so when One goes out, All of them most likely will go out.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

myk

Cable....Fastest connection short of a T1 line at a university or something...

SeattleCharger

I have broadband.   Dsl and cable are fine for most things, better than dial up everyone knows, but for gaming, I think broadband is a little faster.  I pay an extra 10 bucks a month for a higher speed modem and signal from Comcast, which is supposed to give you 6mhz bandwith instead of 4 mhz, fifty percent faster.  The regular cable and dsl is already fast at 4mhz. that when you open new pages and such, you hardly notice this difference, but when playing Quake III online during the day, busier times, there is a big difference, it is fifty percent faster.  This 6mhz is what they are selling, but if you do a bandwith test, (takes a couple seconds for free at many websites, just do a google for "bandwith speed"  and click on the CNET one, just enter your area code and choose cable, don't need to enter the other stuff), this will show your bandwith speed at that moment, it raises and lower depending on how many people on the pipe, in your area, are online).  Sometimes I hit a 7.2mhz, it might say that as 7200khz.  At peak times I might only get a 4mhz, or 4000khz, comcast says they do not guarantee the 6mhz, only that it is possible to hit that.  Scammers. 

A couple of my channels went out on comcast payperviews, the guy here checked the connections and put a booster out of the wall cable into the whole system, it also plugged into the wall socket for power also, and this boosted my internet speed some, also.  Don't know if you can request one of these.  Prob. only if it is needed to have your service work properly, I might have lucked out there. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

last426

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 12, 2005, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: ChargerRob on August 12, 2005, 03:27:38 PM
DSL is the way to go. :thumbs: You dont have to share the internet connection like you do with cable. :)

DSL service shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same DSLAM. Cable shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same CMTS.

It's better if you post the link or at least give the author credit for the text.  I think this is from http://www.dslreports.com/faq/129.  Kim