News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash brake light and socket

Started by ZIM, February 22, 2018, 09:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZIM

Hello all, i'm a newb here and also to mopars. I am an amputee in a wheelchair and had bought one of my fav cars a 68 charger rt, numbers match a few years ago and sent it out for a restoration. I was mainly a chevy guy owning and building a few camaros and birds. One of the things i found out about these cars are the parts are VERY exspensive and hard to get. Luckily my car was in good shape. Needless to say, some parts mysteriously disapeared, and i am positive they were with the car, but to prove it is a different story. I read a similiar story on this site and seen i am not an only victim. But anyways, i am trying to locate the brake light socket and bulb on a 68 charger rt ralley dash, the one for the e-brake, i did a search on this site and also the net and it always comes back to the tail lights/brake. It's confusing and i dont have a book for schematic to find a part #. Any help would be greatly appreciated!..thank you..

cdr

I am pretty sure it is part of the dash harness
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ZIM

Thank you cdr for your reply. The placed that worked on it put all new wiring and box and i got no paperworkfor that. When i picked the car up it was a mess.I had to pay to get my car released and noticed the mess when the flatbed took to my home. The next day  i had it towed to an ole school garage who told me it was **** up,which i already knew,but he said he would help me with it. The guy who had my car over 2 1/2 years had too many excuses and i wanted to trust my fellow man. Yesterday the ole school mechanic told me this was missing as was the rear window defog switch,park brake switch ,glove box switch, trunk light switch,as well as having a GM ignition switch
and key put in upside down of course, i could go on and on..But i believe in karma, if i killed him they could easily find me by following the bloody wheelchair tracks.
Anyways,does this socket come with the harness?? Or do you think any 5/8" push in socket will work? I looked around and could not find just that item specifically for the charger..You would think they would have replacement sockets..Thank you again..zim

cdr

it sounds like they put a universal type dash harness in, not sure how to make that all work correct on our cars.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Nacho-RT74

The brake light signal socket it is on the harness and is an unique socket to it, getting two wires instead one. This is because is turned on by negative/ground from emergency brake &/or brake fluid distributor on engine bay. It gets constant positive from ign swith RUN circuit, hence the reason why it gets two wires and socket uses to be a full plastic assembly to snap in to the cluster housing isolated from it. Rest of bulbs are one wire with metalic retainers which feeds the ground via chassis and turned on by positive.

IT SHOULD get a black wire ( signal ) and blue wire from ign switch circuit. It is at least like that on 3rd gens.

On the pic posted by cdr, you can see it on the far left, bottom. Black  and blue traced white wires arriving to the socket. Is the only socket getting two wires
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ZIM

Thank you for your help. The garage just called me and told me they found a 2 wire socket in their scrap pile. It's an old garage with a greasy office area like the old days. I remember they were alot of these around in the junkyards but i cant believe how hard they are to find. In looking around this site i did find alot of great reading, especially by a member who rebuilds the rallye dash for chargers and did a step by step process.Now that is some real gold mine info that person had posted and was willing to share. Thanks again. zim

VegasCharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 23, 2018, 07:33:45 AM
.....IT SHOULD get a black wire ( signal ) and blue wire from ign switch circuit. It is at least like that on 3rd gens.

.....Black and blue traced white wires arriving to the socket. Is the only socket getting two wires

Correct Nacho.  :2thumbs:

Here's mine from my '68 Charger.

:cheers: