News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

squealing at 60 mph

Started by Charger72SE, July 24, 2006, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

I'm getting a lot of squealing at 60 mph - not sure if it's the belts or maybe the a/c bearing?  the engine was rebuilt and everything newly painted - and the belts seem pretty tight and are new.

the squealing starts at exactly 60 mph - not 58 or 59 mph - exactly at 60

the a/c unit was the only assembly, not rebuilt.  Installed new water pump and rebuilt the alternator

what do ya think??  thanks!!

dodge freak

Well you could take one belt off at a time and then drive it to see which one. Make sure the water pump is still going to turn. They sell a belt dressing to help stop squealing belts, some people say it softens the belts up too much and they break but I have no problems. I live in Michigan and have no AC so maybe thats why. If you know which one it is you could then buy a new one. Gates is a good brand.

Chryco Psycho

I would check out the belts first , it is most likely the cause , belts are cheap , replace them on at a time
I just repalced a new belt on a friends car , it has squealed since new , approx 600 miles , stopped the problem instantly

mopar1968

Quote from: Charger72SE on July 24, 2006, 10:39:41 PM
I'm getting a lot of squealing at 60 mph - not sure if it's the belts or maybe the a/c bearing?  the engine was rebuilt and everything newly painted - and the belts seem pretty tight and are new.

the squealing starts at exactly 60 mph - not 58 or 59 mph - exactly at 60

the a/c unit was the only assembly, not rebuilt.  Installed new water pump and rebuilt the alternator

what do ya think??  thanks!!

I would try what the others have written.  Except, you should be able to recreate this in your drive way.  60mph is just an rpm to the motor.  Try giving it some throttle slowly in Neutral and see if it squeals.  Then you can trouble shoot more safely in case it is something else.  You can disconnect each belt or spray some belt lube and retry.  Check your pulley alignments too.  Make sure you got all that stuff back on nice and tight.

Good luck.

NHCharger

Had the same problem on my 71 that has A/C. Fan clutch was bad.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger72SE

thanks, guys, I'll check the belts first - good idea on checking things in neutral in the driveway

if it ends up being a fan clutch, can you fix that or do you replace it?

mopar1968

Quote from: Charger72SE on July 25, 2006, 10:12:27 PM
thanks, guys, I'll check the belts first - good idea on checking things in neutral in the driveway

if it ends up being a fan clutch, can you fix that or do you replace it?

Anytime!  For the fan clutch, your best choice is the Mopar Performance kit.  It includes the fan and clutch assembly.  I did this, and it rocks compared to the flex fan my car had on it from someone else.