News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Passon 5 speed

Started by 69wannabe, December 18, 2017, 08:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I have been contemplating the addition of a passon 5 speed to my charger. I have read several good review's and read up on the install being very simple and straight forward. Anybody on here made the jump to the 5 speed? It is a pricey move for sure but it seems to be a rock solid transmission that will bolt in without cutting the car up and having to shorten the driveshaft. I will just have to purchase an 18 spline clutch disc and I think that's all I will have to get besides the transmission itself. Just would like to be cruising at less than 3000 rpm's when i'm riding on the highway at 60 to 65 mph.

Harper

i do not have one, but i have been reading up on it. You can bet if i had the bucks i would have one i can tell ya that. I love the convenience of an auto, but that hard launch from a manual trans is the bomb
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

Simonic

I've also been looking at this option  :popcrn:
Mopar owner in the UK..

Finn

How much are they going for these days? Nevermind I looked it up.  :o

About 5500 for those wondering. If you are converting from an auto you're probably looking at a bit more. I don't know how much pedal/linkage/shifter assembly's/mounts/cross members go for but Id imagine all said and done you're into it for about 7 grand?

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

70sixpkrt

They are expensive and a long waiting list. I've read good reviews on it. A couple of people have had a couple of issues but Jamie has addressed them.  I can't afford one but looking at his overdrive unit.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Laowho

We like the OD unit, even if 2d to 3d is a PITA on the majority of roads...unless you like shifting a lot. Seemed a good match to our 3.23 but even so, always seems in between gearing til we reach the hwy (wh/ we mostly drive).

John_Kunkel

If price is a deciding factor, take a look at Passon's improved 4-speed OD...less money and do you really need 5 speeds?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Laowho

That's what we thought, but lugging around in 3d doing 55 kinda sucks  :yesnod:

69wannabe

I like the gearing on the 5 speed, it's close to the 4 speed that I already have except for 5th gear of course. I won't be converting to a manual since I already have a four speed car. I wonder how long the waiting list is on these?? I don't mind waiting a month or so but I don't want to have to wait 6 months is I decide to pull the trigger on this thing!! My bellhousing has been repaired at one time or another so I may spring for a better one and get the clutch disc when I or if I decide to make a move.

It's alot of money but I have seen my buddy spend 6 grand for a blower that wasn't that impressive and he wound up trading it off later and losing bigtime in the end. I don't think that this would be something I would try and not like and wind up putting my old 4 speed back in there.

Just wondered what yall thought about the 5 speed......

70sixpkrt

People on Moparts have been waiting for 5 + years. He has the Over drive units in stock. The Over Drive units go for $3200 and the complete gear set which uses your case goes for $2000.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

303 Mopar

This is the beginning of year 4 for me on Jamie's list for the 855.  I couldn't wait any longer and bought his 833 OD for my Cuda.  It runs great with the 3.55's, and is nice flying down the highway.  I plan to swap the 855 in the Charger when/if my name comes up.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

69wannabe

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 20, 2017, 12:12:33 AM
This is the beginning of year 4 for me on Jamie's list for the 855.  I couldn't wait any longer and bought his 833 OD for my Cuda.  It runs great with the 3.55's, and is nice flying down the highway.  I plan to swap the 855 in the Charger when/if my name comes up.

Wow, didn't know the wait was that long!!! In the words of charlie brown RATS!!!!!

Laowho

When we saw him half a year ago I mentioned the wait list, thought it was about 150 deep, but he laughed and said 300. We never wanted the 5-speed so it was a non-issue. If done again, and maybe w/ less wait, I'd opt for the 5 as much more amenable to today's tooling speeds around town, even tho it'd seem one of those "incorrect" (or unnecessary) lines I didn't wanna cross. But I'm still grateful to have the 4-OD, specially cuz we interstate mostly. And he's a decent guy to boot.

Charger-Bodie

I have one in My white 68.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Harper

QuoteI have one in My white 68.

how do you like it?
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Harper on January 02, 2018, 09:21:58 PM
QuoteI have one in My white 68.

how do you like it?

Shifts smooth as glass
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1974dodgecharger

don't be scared....I spun my 4 speed 3k RPM for hundreds of miles going 80mph with 28inch tall tire....that's 1:1 ratio you be fine.

69wannabe

I don't mind the 4 speed that's in it but I would just like to have another gear to shift into and mine drips at the side plate where the shift levers bolt on to the studs and it's just a 383 tranny 23 spline and would like to upgrade to a more modern and heavy duty transmission if i'm going to spend money there.....