News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will engine paint stick good to aluminum heads?

Started by chapel40, December 30, 2017, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chapel40

Any special prep work? Although it will be garaged my other vehicles engine aluminum corrodes and looks like crap so thinking of painting them too.
Don Chapel

69wannabe

From my experience engine paint does not stick to an engine except for a very short time only  ;) Just kidding, I painted my aluminum intake with aluminum plasti kote engine paint and it looks great and stays pretty good too. Cleaning is the key, got to get all the oil and anything else off the surface if you want the paint to stick and stay.....

Harper

this is good info, I plan on painting my aluminum heads, intake when i put them on as well. Stock appearing with a little extra sneak... :D
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

c00nhunterjoe

Dont have any up close pictures of my heads, but it sticks fine. I cleared them. I did go for something different on my steering box. During rebuild, i did a semi polished patina and then cleared it. Adds a nice touch to my engine bay.

ACUDANUT

ACUDANUT

Quote from: chapel40 on December 30, 2017, 09:06:42 PM
Any special prep work? Although it will be garaged my other vehicles engine aluminum corrodes and looks like crap so thinking of painting them too.

Spray them down with WD-40 or something better.  Don't hide your investment.

chapel40

Don Chapel

chapel40

Bought a can of this: VHT SP145 Engine Enamel Gloss Clear Can 11 oz Duplicolor HIGH TEMP 550°F

May use it on other aluminum parts but not sure if it will discolor the heads and make them look like crap later on.....
Don Chapel

JR

In my experience, ONE light coat of self etching primer after a throughout degreasing and cleaning usually works great for painting aluminum. Either spray the top coat immediately after the primer flashes, or scuff the self etch with a red scuff pad before top coat if you have to wait more than a couple hours after spraying etching primer to apply top coat.

Also, when you spray the top coat, do it in 5 or six LIGHT coats. It will last decades if you do it this way.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

Best i can do given the size constraints of images.  :shruggy:
Engine clear coat. Has held up for many many years of abuse.

chapel40

Don Chapel

Nacho-RT74

I painted my Edelbrock 2186 intake I got USED, to keep the stock look ( since this intake is allmost stock aluminium replacement ) into engine bay back in 2012 with regular engine paint and paint hold like a champ!... well, last start up of my engine was back in may/June 2013 LOL, but got lot of miles on that year running being a driver, and getting LONG trips.

no any particular preparation than just a regular clean up.

Can't tell about the heads itself being they get more heat
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html