News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is my car maybe worth to sell in its condition?

Started by SeattleCharger, April 21, 2006, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

What is your opinion on what my '68 might be worth in its current condition. 

Dissasembled 440, non #'s matching, but have new 262 cam and lifters, refurbished hp exhaust manifolds, rebuilt 727 and new 2500 stall and rearend, new 2 1/2 inch exhaust.   Newer seat upholstery and carpet.    Quarters and valance rusted out in very back lower corners. 

Any opinions on what it might be worth "as is" I would appreciate, vs. worth after rebulding the engine and installing it and making it a driver.   note:dates are wrong in pics, those are from last spring,  Thank you, Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Troy

I think that, in general, cars that are drivable are worth more. However, if the car needs a bunch of metal replacement then I'd be taking it all apart any way so drivability isn't worth much to me. In this case (and since I'm in the middle of paying to have a motor done) I'd say you wouldn't come out ahead by making it drivable. By the time you get the motor done and installed, replace all fluids and hoses, track down electrical gremlins, and get the brakes and tires operating correctly then you'd have more in it than you could sell it for. If you're planning on selling it no matter what then save yourself the time and aggravation of working on it too much. Now, if you did all the body work first and left the engine apart you'd get more money but you'd spend more making it right. If you do the body and engine then at that point you're practically done and I'd keep it. This is my warped logic which is why I can't ever sell anything. :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

voodoo

head southwest my friend, we in the south still drive 'em as is and I have seen much worse. My advice is to get it out of the wet weather before it rots to nothing and sell it for whatever the market will bring, check ebay I think you'll be surprised But whatever you do DO YOUR HOMEWORK  this is good start.

bull

I agree with Troy to a point. To me, my completely disassembled '68 is worth about $20k because that's about what I have into it. Would I ever get that much for it in its current state? Heck no. But in opposition to Troy's opinion I think if I were to spend another $10k to get it reassembled, running and close to finished it suddenly becomes worth (hopefully) close to what I'll have into it. But then my body work is all done. I'd say Chris is pretty close on the value on yours but if you get the engine back together and running and maybe spend $500-$700 on the interior you would probably double that value or more. Another thing I think sells cars is when they are all one color. IMO if two seperate Chargers are in the exact same condition but one is solid blue, red, black, whatever, and the other one has gray primer spots here and there, the first one is worth more. They both may need rust repair and they both may need paint but the first one appears more presentable. I can't prove that but that's my opinion.

SeattleCharger

Hi, the dates are wrong on those photos, the pics are from last May.   Camera date wasn't set then when new. 

I found a shop that will install my engine for 12-15 hrs labor he said, bringing in my engine, the car, and all the unorganized boxes of all the parts thrown together.   70 bucks an hour, so, 900 hundred to a grand for that?  sounds like a good deal.

I found a refurbished/reguilt engine at schucks from a company called Evergreen in Washington state, 2000 bucks for a stock 440 long block with a three year warranty, or I can get my 440 rebuilt, balanced, big cam, etc. but basically stock, for 3500.    So to put the car together and running with fresh 440 I would spend about 3K to 4500 more, if all goes well.    hmmm, I don't know.   If it is running and driving, then I will probably want to keep it.  Right now it seems like a lot to spend, maybe it would be worth it,

Thank you for the advice, sure helps. 
  Nate

JimShine

People do tend to look at the interior too. Those seat covers and door panels are a major turn off. You can buy the materials and redo them yourself and add desireability to the car.

SeattleCharger

Hi, thank you, both armrests are sort of shot, the seat covers are pretty new though, good to know I can buy this stuff, definately the door panel arm rests, I don't mind the seats, the black carpet is new, just needs to be vaccumed in pic.

I bought a black ashtray for it, and the charger emblems that go behind the back side windows, and the chrome trim for the front windshield.

mikepmcs

If you can afford to keep this car and don't need to sell it, then by all means keep it and nickle and dime it until you get it on the road.  Since it's not a NOM car,  find a 440/383 whatever for cheap and stick it in for now and you'll have a driver anyways.  I've been in this position many times.  Sits for a while, needs a little work, not on the road, that sort of stuff and all of a sudden you want to sell cause you think you're never gonna work on it or whatever. HUGE MISTAKES I'VE MADE!!!!  Do yourself a favor.  Go out tonight when you get home from work and sit in that car for a good hour.  Take a good look at it and realize that you own one of the most desired cars in the world. And you own it, it's yours, all you have to do is get off your duff(no offense intended) and get to work on it.  Believe me I'm telling you that car will talk to you when you get in it(hypothetically speaking, I'm not a wacko)
I'm telling you this from experience, you will regret it. :smash: :smash: :smash:
Think about it long and hard! :Twocents:

Of course if you are strapped for cash, we all understand that too.  I bet it would go for $8 plus on ebay cause everyone's scrambling to get one these days. :Twocents:

Good Luck
Mike

PS, Isn't this your signature below your posts "Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy"
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 24, 2006, 07:13:52 AM
Take a good look at it and realize that you own one of the most desired cars in the world. And you own it, it's yours...

Heh...I do that all the time.  :icon_smile_big:

71440charger

The Killer Cam

67_Dodge_Charger

I would pay around $8000 if the charger had the mechanical done.  I would pay $5000 for your charger as is.  You could get more on eBay but would have listing fees, taxes and a lot of questions from potential bidders.  The interior is unique.

-Robert

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 24, 2006, 07:13:52 AM
If you can afford to keep this car and don't need to sell it, then by all means keep it and nickle and dime it until you get it on the road.  Since it's not a NOM car,  find a 440/383 whatever for cheap and stick it in for now and you'll have a driver anyways.  I've been in this position many times.  Sits for a while, needs a little work, not on the road, that sort of stuff and all of a sudden you want to sell cause you think you're never gonna work on it or whatever. HUGE MISTAKES I'VE MADE!!!!  Do yourself a favor.  Go out tonight when you get home from work and sit in that car for a good hour.  Take a good look at it and realize that you own one of the most desired cars in the world. And you own it, it's yours, all you have to do is get off your duff(no offense intended) and get to work on it.  Believe me I'm telling you that car will talk to you when you get in it(hypothetically speaking, I'm not a wacko)
I'm telling you this from experience, you will regret it. :smash: :smash: :smash:
Think about it long and hard! :Twocents:

Of course if you are strapped for cash, we all understand that too.  I bet it would go for $8 plus on ebay cause everyone's scrambling to get one these days. :Twocents:

Good Luck
Mike

PS, Isn't this your signature below your posts "Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy"

Thank you all for your comments here, and thanks Mike for the advice and for reminding me of my signiture, which is the mindset I was in when I joined this site before and then when I got my car last spring.   Some things have happened lately,  I was feeling no joy when I made this thread, but you are right, I have to keep going and when I feel better I will be so glad I have the car and if I sold it, I would  most likely, or, well, for sure I would regret it.   I need to go back and read my post in the thread about "what does our car mean to us", something like that.   Thanks again, Nate.

c5_nc

I was thinking $6500-7000.  I would not make it driveable just to sale.  I assume it needs engine bay paint as well, and the buyer may have different ideas about how they want the engine setup.  If you want to move it I would leave it has is or complete it.  Dash looks intact but very rough, the first thing I would do would be to clean it up and repaint or dye.  Needs seat covers, door panels, and a complete armrest setup.  I'm going through a 68' interior now.