News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

heater delete?

Started by Charger1973, April 17, 2006, 10:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

How many of you guys dont have a heater?  I am thinking of leaving mine out completely when I put the car back together.  It will only be driven on nice days anyway...  The only thing I might miss is the defroster, but I think I could live without it.  Just looking for opinions and experiences before I decide one way or the other

dodge freak

You did not say where you live. In Texas ok I might do it. I live in Michigan  and no way would I get rid of it. At night in June I might use it. Its not like the A C,  would not take any power to run it, and does not weigh to much. I would keep it. Put a brand new heater core in it , leaky ones are a mess. If you might need it for the defroster keep it, I can't drive to good if I can't see were I am going. You also might want to drive it more than you think later on. You won't gain much  by getting rid of it.

greenpigs

I don't know about 3rd gens but on a 2nd you would be lucky to save 50lbs.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

voodoo

Well wieght lose aside defrosters don't work well without ac anyway, but if your not dragin it leave i in there.

Charger1973

More than likely it will stay.  But I am removing the AC from the car and really, to do it right, I should go find a non AC heater box and vent cable assembly.  Not that it would be hard to find, I just like to keep my cars simple.  Makes that much less stuff to go wrong and that much less stuff in the way when you gotta work on it.  But 99% sure it will stay, just looking for opinions. 

dodge freak

Well I got rid of the AC from my car and I just pulled the heater box out and removed the AC coil and put a brand new header core in while it was out. Worked great and lost 15 or so pounds. It will bolt right back in not like if you change it and then you might have to make it fit right. I just duck taped the hole on the firewall. I know I should have used sheet metal and screwed it in, but I was still young and did not care. Never ever thought I own the car for what is it 15 years now I think. Keep your heater, who knows you might do what I did and might want a heater one day or maybe your wife will ha ha. Time flys it seems like.

Rolling_Thunder

I ditched my AC and my heater...     never used the damn thing anyway...     so I figured why put it back in ?     Overall It weighed ALOT...    that is including the AC stuff too so keep that in mind...      Worse case I will go with an aftermarket unit instead of the bulky factory stuff....    but thats a ways down the road.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip