News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird dutchman panel plug channel

Started by Hemi Runner, December 28, 2016, 07:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

Does anyone know how tall this channel is and is it available repop or do I have to make one?

Hemi Runner

hemi68charger

I don't follow the question. The rear Dutchman panel is the original one. Now, are you referring to the pedestal part of the rear plug that contacts the Dutchman/filler panel?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi Runner

Yes that's the part. I'm trying to install my rear window plug and the height of that pedestal would help greatly in making sure mine is in the ballpark.

hemi68charger

I will call my friend tomorrow who is doing the resto of my Superbird. The plug is currently off. I will ask him to take a picture and/or measure the height of that component.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

DoubleDlover

well. Your going to have a problem because it isnt the same height all the way across. Theres a slight ark to it. So the ends are taller then the middle.

hemi68charger

Quote from: DoubleDlover on December 30, 2016, 10:54:51 PM
well. Your going to have a problem because it isnt the same height all the way across. Theres a slight ark to it. So the ends are taller then the middle.

Good point..  I will see if Smitty can take a few measurements along the length of the component.
Troy

Hemi Runner

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 30, 2016, 11:14:59 PM
Quote from: DoubleDlover on December 30, 2016, 10:54:51 PM

Good point..  I will see if Smitty can take a few measurements along the length of the component.

Troy, that would be fantastic. I have the plug tacked in place and can see that the ends will be slightly taller than the middle. One more question. Does this pedestal piece weld to the bottom of the glass channel of the plug or to the plug sheetmetal behind the glass channel?

Hemi Runner

Some quick measurements show that I currently have 1-1/2" in the center and 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 on the sides. That's from the top side of the dutchman to the top side of the plug sheetmetal. The glass channel is out of my plug temporarily.

DoubleDlover

i have a factory new plug and it spot welds to the underside of the lip in the channel. Not to the backside of the actual  sheetmetal of the plug. And then theres the strip of metal that the rubber inside molding goes onto that is welded right in there as well. Has those little round half punched out holes in it to hold the rubber//

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DoubleDlover on January 01, 2017, 01:52:29 AM
i have a factory new plug and it spot welds to the underside of the lip in the channel. Not to the backside of the actual  sheetmetal of the plug. And then theres the strip of metal that the rubber inside molding goes onto that is welded right in there as well. Has those little round half punched out holes in it to hold the rubber//
Thanks for verifying the location. By looking at some pictures Troy posted, it looked that way but was difficult to be sure. Could you post a picture or two of your plug?

hemi68charger

Here are some pictures Smitty took for me of my Superbird's rear plug..

The ends are 3/16's shorter than the middle... Right off the top of my head, I don't know what the main middle part of the spacer is to subtract the 3/16.. It should be noticed too the roll pin that Chrysler used in the assembly of the rear plug unit..
Troy

Hemi Runner

Interesting pictures. It looks like a Z shaped piece that welds to both the dutchman and the plug. Did the roll pin just locate the bottom of the headliner tooth plate or did it serve some other function as well?

I ended up using the channel that's under the factory Roadrunner dutchman since I had an extra. I reworked it using the shrinker and stretcher and put it under the sheet metal behind the lower glass channel.