News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about torque boxes for the experts.

Started by green69rt, November 14, 2016, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

This is not a earth shaking question, just something to satisfy my personal curiosity.

I've seen a bunch of posts, here, about 68/69 hemi cars and their correct assembly.  When looking at restored hemi cars, it seems that I can see the rear torque boxes fairly easy.  BUT, I never seem to see the front boxes.  So the question is....Do stock hemis have both, or is there some option that just includes the rear or is it just coincidence?

charge69

My Charger is an original Hemi and I am not sure what you are referring to by "Front Torque Boxes".  As far as I know, my Charger only has rear boxes.
Where do you think the front torque boxes are located?

green69rt

Quote from: charge69 on December 09, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
My Charger is an original Hemi and I am not sure what you are referring to by "Front Torque Boxes".  As far as I know, my Charger only has rear boxes.
Where do you think the front torque boxes are located?

The fronts go here.  I starting to see that the torque box option is only for the rears.  Right?   Fronts were only on B-body convertables.

Here's the set from US car tools (front and back.)

http://store.uscartool.com/Torque-Boxes-Set-of-four-4-for-1966--1970-Mopar-B-Bodies_p_32.html

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Hey, it may not be the best car out there but it sure isn't junk.

charge69

Pretty sure my Charger does not have them. Must have been a "Convertible-only" setup for a B body.
When doing my Charger, my buddy added some serious sub-frame connectors in the form of welded-in thick steel tubing before painting. We then painted it body-color and no one notices them!  Definitely stiffens up the whole car.  It would take a cutting torch but they could be removed in about 10 minutes easily.

green69rt

So, I guess the answer to my question is that front torque boxes for our Chargers (at least second generation) are only an after market addition.  Just wondering.

Charger-Bodie

There actually from what I've read some examples of hemi cars ,not convertible that have fronts. For the most part though yes. Rears only. I've added them to three of my own cars now. They've all had hemis and for speeds. None original hemi cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

My 70 Hemi Charger Auto/Dana has them.

Kern Dog

I'd like to see pictures of cars that have them with the car sitting on its tires. The home made ones in my 70 seem to hang down more than I like.

charge69

This shot is not really low enough but, you cannot see the torque boxes on either side unless you get on the ground and look up at them !

P.S.  this is a Hemi/auto Charger with an 8 3/4" rear.

In this old shot, the boxes are clearly visible. They are definitely no lower than any of the undercarriage.

green69rt

I would guess that mine only hang down less than 1/2" lower than the frame to which they are attached, so not a problem for me.  

Back to the original question, so the rear torque boxes were either standard or an option on some cars but I haven't heard any confirmation that the fronts were options or standard on any cars.  Especially 1969 and older.  Maybe a very few, like CB says and even those, if I had to guess, may be add-on after the factory.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Hemi cars (and E-Body convertibles...not sure about B-Body converts) were supposed to have them....and a floor reinforcement above the pinion snubber. Lots of examples were some of the stuff was missed.

charge69

My '69 has the rear torque boxes and the floor reinforcement above the pinion snubber but, no front boxes.