News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does it smoke?

Started by lloyd3, October 24, 2016, 09:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Every once in a while, when I get my car out for a spin, it belches a fairly significant cloud of smoke right after start-up?  It's usually after it's been sitting for a long while and I need to pour a small cup of gas in the carb to prime things. With regular use it almost never happens, but when it does......wow.  Valve guides?

70-500-SE-EXPORT

68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

John_Kunkel

What color smoke? If you're over-priming it, could just be burning off the excess fuel.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

lloyd3

Mr. Kunkel:

White and oily-smelling smoke.  It's been about 40K miles since the last major overhaul, and since I didn't do it I have no way of knowing just exactly what was done. 

lloyd3

Had the car out today and nothing, it ran great. 82 here today!  What winter?  The valve seals can't be leaking too-badly, the plugs don't ever seem to get fouled. I haven't needed to change them in something like 8-years.

RECHRGD

Maybe just condensation, not smoke....
13.53 @ 105.32

lloyd3

Possibly ...but Colorado is a very dry place. We have had a fairy wet summer this year, but this fall is popcorn dry.  Just something I'll have to keep an eye on I guess.