News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Settling in with Hotchkis...

Started by myk, March 27, 2015, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

For me, I was getting ready for my annual 1000 mile trip from the Sacramento area to Los Angeles for the Van Nuys car show. I noticed that the car was pulling a bit to the left so I did a quickie check of the toe with 2 string lines. It was toed out a little so I clocked the tie rod ends a bit and went on the trip. No orregular tire wear but when I was home, the toe had spread again so I got the car on jackstands and had a look. The lower bushings had shreds of rubber peeking out so I tore it down to replace them again. It was at this point that i wondered if their early failure was my fault. Did I tighten the LCA pivot shaft bolt with the tires in the air or on the ground? I don't remember!

MartinTheHuman

Quote from: myk on May 31, 2016, 11:33:36 PM
So did you start getting noises too?   Looks like I'm going to have to take a hard look at the lower ball joints and the lower arms/bushings.  Thanks again guys...

Myk,

Thanks SO MUCH for this thread, I'm right smack in the middle of my Hotchkis TVS install on my 69 while also converting the factory drums to Wilwoods. Finally got the rear leaf springs on but I'm fighting the disassembly of the stock components to make way. I'm a complete beginner with mopar and suspension/brakes in general but luckily I'm working at my uncle's shop who has tons of experience (but not mopar) and all the tools I could imagine.

It's been crazy. We had to cut the strut rod and weld a socket to the end for the impact because it was so seized up. A prior owner had literally welded the bolts to the rear leaf spring front bracket and rear shackle on the driver side, no idea why. There were 5 leafs on one side, 6 on the other....all kinds of weird crap. It was probably a donor car for another 2nd gen b body if I had to guess. Can't complain too much since I fell backwards into the car. Overall the kit was awesome, it's the old Charger that's fighting me. Great family fun though.

To the reason I wanted to post...great info, totally taking your advice for the UCA protective boots, you or anyone have any recommendations for the stuff that the Hotchkis TVS kit inexplicably (total?) didn't include like the lower ball joint? Was looking at Moog, I prefer keeping my stuff to the same vendor but the Hotchkis brand is like $85 per side versus $40 and they're perpetually out of stock. Definitely getting the torsion bars though. Aside from that and the bushings, are there any hidden gotchas that I should be on the lookout for? Keep in mind I'm just an old infantryman turning the wrench, may have to break it down Barney style for me...heh. And like you I was looking into the Hotckhis steering arm kit but saw the header limitation and backed off of it until I know what I'm going to order. Whole new world for me, gotta find stuff that I can wedge in with the 440.

As to my uncle, he caught the bug and is off to get a 69 Nova to match his high school car from the 70s.

Thanks from a nooB!

~ Martin

1974dodgecharger

the lower ball joint is actually Moog that hotchkis sells....

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 31, 2016, 08:26:33 PM
the lower ball joint is actually Moog that hotchkis sells....

Not anymore...They switched to Proforged after too many complaints about Moog's recent quality issues.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster