News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Leaf Spring bracket and shackles

Started by MartinTheHuman, October 16, 2016, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinTheHuman

Hi all, first post.

My uncle and I are replacing the stock 69 suspension with a Hotchkis TVS kit and we ran across the weirdest thing. Has anyone ever come across the 4 bracket bolts for the front bracket on the leaf springs being welded, as well as the rear shackle bolt for the leaf spring being welded? We had to use a plasma cutter to chop the front bracket and grind the bolt heads down. For the life of me I can't figure out why someone would weld the bolts.

Thanks!
Martin

BLK 68 R/T

I'm confused as to where you are referring it being welded to? Nuts on the front shackle support welded onto the studs? Rear shackle nuts were welded on as well?

HPP

Lots nut cases out there. Some of them owned vintage cars and did dumb $*&^ to them.

Mike DC

Yep, it sounds like typical backyard repair dumbassery.  

It's only infuriating when you have the hindsight to know someone will be trying to restore the car years/decades later.  There was a time when a '69 Charger was just another POS.  They do the same stuff to other cars on Roadkill today and we cheer it.

68 RT

The front spring hangers are not held on with bolts they should be studs with nuts. Maybe the studs were moving and replaced with bolts? They were welded because there is no way to hold them with a wrench. The rear unless aftermarket long shackles also do not have bolts, they have studs that are part of the hanger and held on with nuts.