News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

radiator inlet and outlet question

Started by Ryan.C, July 28, 2016, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

I am in the process of putting my car back together and I am in the market for a Aluminum radiator. Since the aftermarket has radiators of all different sizes and inlet and outlet locations I am a little confused as to which one will best suit my vehicle. The car was originally a 318/904, it currently has a 440 manual trans. The water pump radiator hose is on the drivers side and I plan to run a aftermarket A/C set-up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ryan
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Highbanked Hauler

What are you going to do about a fan ?  By my experience If your going to have AC you should have a  radiator shroud or heavy duty electric fans if you are in hot weather country. I have a 7 blade fan but no shroud and it gets by but just barely. Do you have a 26 in. rad support ?  70 and back big block would get you the inlet/outlet in the right location.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BLK 68 R/T

First step is to determine what size radiator your car takes, either a 26" or a 22"? Did your car have AC originally and you are adding aftermarket AC or just adding AC?

Ryan.C

My car originally was optioned with A/C. Also, I measured the opening in RAD support and it is a 26in. Do the 26 and 22 Radiators have different inlet and outlet locations?

https://wizardcooling.com/1966-1969-26-big-block-mopar-applications/ Thanks for the link. I had not heard of these guys previously  :2thumbs:

BLK 68 R/T

They did have different inlet/outlets on the radiators. BB 68/69/70 26" had the drivers side outlet/Passenger side inlet on the radiator. BB 68/69 22" same outlet but the inlet was just off center towards the left (driver) side of the radiator, 70 22" both are on the drivers side. You will want a 26" with the drivers outlet, passenger inlet for your car with A/C.

Edit - I've heard good things about these as well.
http://www.speedcooling.com/26-Big-Block-Mopar-Radiator.html

Ryan.C

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on July 29, 2016, 01:01:02 PM
They did have different inlet/outlets on the radiators. BB 68/69/70 26" had the drivers side outlet/Passenger side inlet on the radiator. BB 68/69 22" same outlet but the inlet was just off center towards the left (driver) side of the radiator, 70 22" both are on the drivers side. You will want a 26" with the drivers outlet, passenger inlet for your car with A/C.

Edit - I've heard good things about these as well.
http://www.speedcooling.com/26-Big-Block-Mopar-Radiator.html

Thank you very much! That answered my question perfectly. Shopping for a quality radiator that will not break my check book has been a real PITA.