News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After market AC

Started by Frank, June 25, 2016, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Has anyone installed an after market AC unit in a non AC charger and if so did it actually work?  Based on the marketing material of one supplier they are selling a kit that uses your heater and vent system so no cutting or additional plumbing is required.  Thanks

b5blue

Frank I just installed Classic Auto Air. Vintage is another supplier. You should contact both and compare pros and cons, I think they both work well from what I see here. CAA has a shop 20 miles from me so I used them. You most likely will need a few holes here and there.

rebby

I installed a Vintage Air system in my General Lee (details in signature link). I'll be install a Classic Auto Air system in my brother in-law's Oldsmobile later this summer. They're both pretty good systems. Take a look at both them and go with whatever system makes the most sense for your application. For my GL (and most likely my other Charger as well), that was a Gen IV system from Vintage Air.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Mike DC

The loudest gripe you hear about all the aftermarket systems is that they don't have a feature to use outside air. They can only recirculate the existing inside air.

It's because an outside air feature would demand very unique custom ducting for every different model of car.    

b5blue

CAA's retains the drivers vent box so with that and 2nd gen having vent windows you can still bleed fresh air into the car. After 2 weeks running mine I can tell in Florida you'd recirculate anyway, it's just too darn hot here. I'm experimenting with insulating now, I can tell it will make a big difference overall. (Car's interior is bare now.)

rebby

Quote from: b5blue on June 26, 2016, 10:07:38 AM
CAA's retains the drivers vent box so with that and 2nd gen having vent windows you can still bleed fresh air into the car. After 2 weeks running mine I can tell in Florida you'd recirculate anyway, it's just too darn hot here. I'm experimenting with insulating now, I can tell it will make a big difference overall. (Car's interior is bare now.)

The Vintage Air system keeps the driver's vent as well.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Frank

I appreciate all of the information.  Thank you.