News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Carter mech fuel pump ticking?!?!

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, June 15, 2016, 07:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

When will I ever learn? Every season I go through the old "if it aint broke, change parts anyway" phase.

This time I figured I'd put back on a Carter M6903 Hemi style fuel pump. I was running one a few years ago and swapped it with a "stock" pump due to the above seasonal statement.
Anyhoo, I figured I'd get a brand new pump and a new "better" repro vapor separator with the correct .060 return restriction.

Now with he car running I am getting a fairly noticeable ticking noise from the fuel pump! You can actually feel it on the bottom of the pump.
What would cause this? Checked push rod against a brand new one and they are the same length.
car runs fine...just ticks now...bad pump?? 440 engine by the way..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

Contrary to popular belief, the pump doesn't pump fuel when the lever is actuated by the pushrod; the actual pumping is performed by the spring. IOW, the pushrod action performs the suction and the spring pumps when the pushrod is returning toward the cam.

If the lever pivot is sticky, it won't fully return during the pushrod up cycle and this leaves a gap that will cause a ticking noise as the gap is taken up on each pump cycle. Also possible that the spring is broken causing the same action.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hmm thanks John.  One other thing I was thinking is that I used some trans assy gel on the pushrod to keep it "up" while I put the pump in....I didnt run the car long so I was thinking the gel hasnt broken down yet ant it was sticking in the bore....but reading your explanation I guess it doesn't matter :rotz:

This pump was brand new in the box....Im hoping the spring wouldn't be broken?  Who knows.

maybe Ill just swap my "stock" pump back on or better yet my older Carter that worked fine when I took it off a few years ago.....

I just LOVE doing things 3 and 4 times!!  :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sooooo.....started & ran the car today & guess what?  No more noise??!!!??

I have no clue what it could have been....maybe the push rod like I suspected?

All is well...for now.  Thanks for all the suggestions.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

I am also guilty of the .... If it ain't broke,fixit til it is.. Routine. :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.