News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Few questions about my 68...

Started by euroZ06, June 12, 2016, 11:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Hello,

New 68 charger owner here.

1. Car didnt have seatbelts installed when i bought it, but some kind of seatbelts came with it in the box. I dont see any mounting points for them, except perhaps attaching them to the seat. Would this work? Can you please tell me which goes with what and which ones are front vs rear. I need them to pass inspection.

2. Transmission seems to shift very early. When like when i floor it off the line it doesnt seem like it gets the engine up too high in the rpm. What can that mean? Its a 3 speed (originally a 383 motor, now a 440).

3. Wheel lock. I dont seem to have one. Did 68's come with it? If they did, how do i fix this?

Im in germany, so need to pass a safety inspection.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Dino

You should have a short retracter bolted to the inner rocker between the seat and the door. The long end with the buckle is bolted on the trans tunnel below the rear end of the console. Look for bolt holes under the carpet, you can't miss them.

For the trans you need to adjust the kickdown linkage. When you  push the throttle pin on the carb all the way back toward the firewall then you should have minimal play on the kickdown rod. It should go back towards the firewall no more than 1/8". This should make the car shift real soon at low speeds but keep it in the same gear for a longer time when you open it up. There's a good diagram in the FSW.

I'm not sure what you mean by wheel lock.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6bblgt

in the front: the belts with buckles go to the inside - the retractor to the outside

I see 2 male ends & 4 buckles, are there any more belts?
mounting points circled in red on the floor pic below, got bolts?

wheel lock? steering column lock wasn't used until 1970 model year.

is the kick-down linkage on the car?

Dino

Oh that kinda wheel lock!  :lol: Okay I get it now, yeah you don't have one.

Thanks for posting those pics 6bblgt, I couldn't get to mine from this pc.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

on the shifting to soon, there is a linkage adjustment at the carb, I will see if i can find a picture. the linkage needs to be unscrewed, to make it longer.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 12, 2016, 12:32:49 PM
in the front: the belts with buckles go to the inside - the retractor to the outside

what  6bblgt  said  , except the rear is for a 70 model  ,    heres what the 68/ 69 complete seatbelt set up looks like ( not including the rare rear shoulder belts )

E = roof shoulder belt (FRONT SEATS)

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

euroZ06

Thanks for all responses guys! As far as seat belts, from the picture above it looks like I have the mounting on the tranny tunnel (my elbow rest is attached there somewhere. Ill have to look for the other bolt holes, I have a new carpet in it, so finding the bolt hole will be a bit tricky. By chance any bolt dimensions? Is that something I can pick up at the hardware store or need to special order?

I don't think kick down linkage is on the car, but it came with it (new). So if I install it, will it solve the problem? Never did linkage adjustment at the carb, would appreciate guidance.

Thank you.

myk

Hold on a minute, what size and thread are those bolts?  I haven't been able to find them anywhere.  XV sent me stuff that didn't fit, the eBay ones are vague and MIGHT fit, etc...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

67Charger440

Quote from: myk on June 13, 2016, 04:39:30 AM

Hold on a minute, what size and thread are those bolts?  I haven't been able to find them anywhere.  XV sent me stuff that didn't fit, the eBay ones are vague and MIGHT fit, etc...

I knew I wasn't the only one!!!  I have a set from the former XV that I finally tried to use, but the shoulders were all too large to fit the belts.

Brock Lee

The 1968 model year also had some seatbelt things going on. The ones made before January 1, 1968 were only required to have lap belts. There was an options package to get front shoulder belts belts (very popular). Then after January 1, 1968, they were required by law to have front shoulder belts, so they came standard equipment. I am not sure if non-shoulder belt cars have the bolt provisions in place or not.

euroZ06

Quote from: Dino on June 12, 2016, 12:14:03 PM
You should have a short retracter bolted to the inner rocker between the seat and the door. The long end with the buckle is bolted on the trans tunnel below the rear end of the console. Look for bolt holes under the carpet, you can't miss them.

For the trans you need to adjust the kickdown linkage. When you  push the throttle pin on the carb all the way back toward the firewall then you should have minimal play on the kickdown rod. It should go back towards the firewall no more than 1/8". This should make the car shift real soon at low speeds but keep it in the same gear for a longer time when you open it up. There's a good diagram in the FSW.

I'm not sure what you mean by wheel lock.

can you please reference the diagram? the car came with a lokar kickdown cable kit (I assume original stuff is currently installed), so I want to try and install that, but everything is somewhat vague. I read that I need to move the lever on tranny until there is some resistance (almost into the middle position), then install the cable going backwards. But I'm confused on how to hook it up and adjust it up at the carb. I saw some posts about needing some bracket (it isn't included in the lokar kit??), and then adjusting it and cutting cable... blah... never done this... 

holanae

Most of the sets on ebay are for GM cars.  They sale the correct sets out there, but are hard to find and are usually going to run you $100.  It was hard to find one person with a full set.  I had to collect from here and there to get a full used set at a fraction of the cost.  Check the bolt heads.  You will need 4 C10 bolts, 4 c11bolts, and 2 C12 bolts if I am correct.  Type those numbers into ebay and the usually have singles here and there.