News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaking coolant from radiator overflow hose

Started by Brian L, April 21, 2016, 06:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian L

I have a 71 Charger, stock 440, and after I drive it, it starts dripping coolant from the radiator overflow hose until it cools down. It's not overheating, so I'm thinking it's just the radiator cap. I replaced the cap with a cheapo 16# cap from O Reilly's, but it is still doing the same thing. Does anyone know where to find a good quality correct cap for my car?

Brian

rebby

Is the radiator overfilled? As long as the car isn't overheating, that's by design. It'll purge the excess fluid out the overflow to maintain the proper pressure (16lbs in your case). Once the system finds a happy water level, you should be fine.

Alternative would be to add a recovery tank, or better yet, a recirculating tank. Both of those systems will have some sort of purge for the excess as well but you're less likely to dump fluid due to the additional, excess, capacity (unless you overfill of course).
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Brian L

Thanks Curt. Maybe it is overfilled. It didn't leak as much out as last time.

c00nhunterjoe

Without a recovery tank, i had to keep mine about 2" below the rim, or just covering the fins, to prevent hot dribbling.

rebby

Quote from: Brian L on April 21, 2016, 07:03:25 PM
Thanks Curt. Maybe it is overfilled. It didn't leak as much out as last time.

Most likely. Keep an eye on it. A water level just covering the fins sounds about right. I think that is roughly where mine sat before getting the recirc tank set up.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brian L

Bought a Stant cap for it, and took it for a spin and no more leaking coolant.  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

By summer, it will be spewing again. Nature of the beast unless you leave the level an inch or 2 down or put a bottle on it.

Brian L

scratchinfotraction

same thing on my 68 dart, fill it up and drive it, stop it spits water out the overflow tube.

1)make sure you have a non-vented rad cap on a non-recovery cooling system. this is most important.

2) make sure to leave an airgap above the cooling tubes of the rad core, water expands when hot so it needs the room in the rad tank.

3) add a recovery bottle 1/2 full of water, use a vented rad cap, fill rad to top of tank. when it pushes water to the bottle, the vented cap will let it vacuum suck the water back into the rad tank when cooling down as a closed system.

when the non vented system is filled correctly it will not spit water until over heated and boiling over. then there is a bigger problem with the cooling system.